M14 Forum banner

1981 M1A on GB

455 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  KurtC
Item 967899812

The pictures show perfect examples of a recalled bolt, early commercial oprod and trigger housing.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the recalled bolts came much later.
You don't go by the date, you go by the markings.

The bolts in question are marked as follows:

No numerical or alphabetical characteristics on either top or back of bolt (completely unmarked).
Any bolt with any numerical or alphabetical markings at all on the back of the bolt.

Any bolt with the top marked "7790185" and with "SA RRR" centered below that number.

Any bolt with the top marked "790185" and with "SA" centered below that number.

· Registered
756 Posts
S.A.I. of Geneseo,IL changed the bolt in my 1979 Super Match in 1988. I brought it to them and they changed it with a TRW.

Jarhead

Reactions: KurtC

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Only USGI bolts for me -

· Registered
5,397 Posts
They will still change it out, but the USGI bolts are long gone. The replacement will be a forged commercial bolt.
Fwiw, I purchased a similar 1981 SAI M1A last month (15k serial number), and it had the exact same recalled bolt, so I shipped it off earlier this month for the no-charge bolt swap under the recall. So the recall bolts do go back to 1981 era. It will presumably come back with an SAI forged bolt next month, which is fine for my purposes with this rifle. I'll post a pic once I get my rifle back, for anyone curious. (My 15k rifle came with old WWII lock-bar sights including a WRA elevation knob, and a birch stock, but otherwise very similar to parts seen on the auction rifle; same trigger housing, and op rod. Barrel is an unmarked commercial part with a very faint 'NM' engraved on the top barrel behind the flash hider). It's going to be my "as-issued" rifle for CMP Modern Military matches and a local 'fun service rifle match' at 100 yards.
Camera accessory Gas Cylinder Auto part Fixture

The stock-up at the trigger pads was non-existent without a bedding job, so I'll be using a different stock on this old M1A.

· Registered
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The "790185" and with "SA" centered below that number bolts are from the early '80s.
The "7790185" and with "SA RRR" centered below that number bolts are from the late '80s.

During the '80s, USGI parts were not always available. NOS supplies were drying up and Uncle Sam hadn't yet started chopping up perfectly good rifles.

Each rifle from that period needs to be judged on an individual basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts