M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after doing some searching here, I saw some reference to USGI stocks being used on NM rifles made during the 1970's. Does anyone know if this included the SM rifles?

I recently bought a SM born in 1976 but am unsure as to the originality of the stock.

Unfortunately I am still in Iraq (Baghdad, actually, waiting for my CONUS flight on Sunday) so only have this one picture that shows the 'circle P' proof.

I would like the rifle to have the correct stock and obviously I would need it re-bedded if the current stock is 'incorrect.'

So, three questions:

1. Is the current stock potentially the original stock?
2. If not, would a Fajen be the correct one to replace it?
3. Recommendations on someone to re-bed the receiver (I would like it to be period correct, red glass I believe), is there anyone from Glen Nelson's original shop still doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I wouldn't think that would be an original SM stock. Maybe someone like KurtC or one of those guys will see this post. They are very knowledgeable about what stocks were used and when. Have a safe flight home and post more pics when you have time, that would help. There are a few guys around here that would most likely bed it for you should you want to go that route.

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
I'd keep it, until I at least got my paws on it. Shoot it too, before you change anything, to get a base line. Thanks for your service and an early "Welcome Home".

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Proof mark. It means that the stock came off a USGI rifle which had fired a high pressure proof round during initial manufacture.

"Super Match" denotes a specific line of SA Inc rifles (heavy match barrel, bedded, other match mods), and is also used in a more general sense for any M14 type rifle with a heavy barrel built for shooting matches. "Correct" doesn't really play into it.

Be aware that the Fajen stocks were massive pieces of timber. I've got decent sized mitts (XL sized glove) and the Fajen feels unnaturally big both at the grip and up in the forearm. It feels closer to palming a basketball than grasping a rifle. The point is you may not like it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did confirm through Springfield that it was sold as a Super Match. Guess I'll be taking more pictures when I get back and once again ask for ya'll's assistance...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw your stock and am trying to figure out if I 'need' it. If what I have is as it could have come out of the factory, then no need. Unfortunately, I won't be CONUS until 26FEB and won't be picking up my new rifles until 27FEB.

BUT, if it is still available and I'm still looking I will definitely be contacting you. Not fair to ask you to hold it when I'm unsure at this point.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
AFAIK, SAI did not produce a Super Match rifle in 1976.

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1975 was the first production year although I would expect pretty limited numbers. Copied/pasted from a previous post:

From the Third Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development:

"In the August 01, 1975 issue of Shotgun News, two M1A models were available, standard and match. At about this time, the Super Match M1A was introduced in the August and October 1975 issues of American Rifleman. These first Super Match M1A rifles had Shilen eight groove 1:12 twist molybdenum-chromium alloy steel barrels. The M1A with a USGI M14 NM barrel is now known as the National Match M1A. This selection of M1A models continues until 1981."

I really like the fact that it was a Bicentennial-year manufactured rifle, not that that makes it anything more than what it is. But still a (minor?) piece of M1A history that I intend to use as originally intended. :)

And, in general, I prefer to have my rifles in period correct form - furniture, optics, gear, etc. More pictures and markings when I return.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome back home. I have spent far to many nights at the Baghdad airport waiting for a flight home and understand the antsy feelings that you get while waiting.

Nelson

·
Registered
900 Posts
A USGI M14 stock will have the cuts for the selective fire hardware, Civilian M1A stocks will not.

I do not believe I have ever seen a SAI factory built match M1A with a bedded USGI stock.

Proof "P" stamps are easily available.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I don't like to admit I may have been wrong about the first year of Super Match production, but according to the ARNG guidelines for coaching, one should admit to making a mistake about once a week as it tends to reduce the number of attempts on the coaches life.

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
Rear lugs on factory rifles didn't appear until 1990 or 91. 65k serial number range.

Before that, a Super Match was just a National Match with a heavy barrel and stock.

Early NM and SM rifles might have a stock from any source, as long as it was sturdy enough for bedding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts