M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still searching for a barrel for my Van Orden build and came across pre64win.com’s 1952 Van Orden Special Target that they acquired.

interesting note, it has a SS barrel…

Not sure how old this article is but their research shows it shipped to a private address at Fort Bragg and is one of 90 delivered to private addresses.

This also maybe/kinda/possibly opens the door to me feeling better about my Post War doner rifle…. Mines a 1950s era as well.

Their explanation:
“The rifle serial number is 220619 which Evaluators Ltd records show was delivered to Robert E Gates at an address on Fort Bragg, NC. This was not a military issue rifle. Although it was delivered to a Fort Bragg address, Evaluator Ltd records show this rifle among only 90 Van Orden rifles delivered to private individuals.”

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Four or five years ago that vendor had an original mid-1950s medium-heavy target barrel but they are very uncommon. What I did for my replica USMC M70 sniper is use a Douglas barrel that is cut to the same “medium-heavy” dimensions and 24” profile, but lacks the WRA roll marks of course. Douglas had some back in 2016. Just needed extractor cut and chamber reaming, plus bluing. My donor M70 rifle was a Featherweight in 308W, here's the Douglas in the white. (It's 0.79" at the muzzle).
Wood Automotive exterior Hardwood Shelf Rectangle

Here’s that Douglas barrel blued with Steve Earle scope blocks. It mimics the original WRA barrels, and I left it as a flat crown as per the originals.
Door Fixture Wood Gas Composite material

Bottom is an original Van Orden M70 circa 1953.
Sports equipment Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun

·
NSR
1,760 Posts
Gents,

Finding an original Winchester barrel for my Van Orden project proved problematic. So, Douglas made me one to the original specifications and Steve Nelson screwed it on for me. Cost for the target weight original barrel was about $300 plus installation. It's a real peach. Range time this coming week!

Wood Floor Flooring Gas Machine
Table Wood Window Interior design Decoration

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blueing that’s barrel, whoever did it did a great job. I’m open to the Douglas barrel, I may re-engage with them.

Four or five years ago that vendor had an original mid-1950s medium-heavy target barrel but they are very uncommon. What I did for my replica USMC M70 sniper is use a Douglas barrel that is cut to the same “medium-heavy” dimensions and 24” profile, but lacks the WRA roll marks of course. Douglas had some back in 2016. Just needed extractor cut and chamber reaming, plus bluing. My donor M70 rifle was a Featherweight in 308W, here's the Douglas in the white. (It's 0.79" at the muzzle).
View attachment 468985

Here’s that Douglas barrel blued with Steve Earle scope blocks. It mimics the original WRA barrels, and I left it as a flat crown as per the originals.
View attachment 468977
Bottom is an original Van Orden M70 circa 1953.
View attachment 468976

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read through your post, looks great and that stock is a beauty. I’m really curious about the accuracy of these rifles. Both of you have new/very high quality barrels. With loading, I wonder if the limfac is now the scope. Mine is a repro USMC 8x. Still in the box of course 🤦‍♂️ In due time

Gents,

Finding an original Winchester barrel for my Van Orden project proved problematic. So, Douglas made me one to the original specifications and Steve Nelson screwed it on for me. Cost for the target weight original barrel was about $300 plus installation. It's a real peach. Range time this coming week!

View attachment 469028 View attachment 469029

·
NSR
1,760 Posts
Gents,

I discussed the matter with Douglas and they had the original specifications on hand and cut the barrel to those...twist is the original 1:10. I do think that the scope will be the limiting factor. Would like to slap a Nightforce on mine and see what it will do...

Love the stock...haven't seen one nicer. Pictures and groups this next week.

I have some original M72 for testing and will load some 175 gr Lapua's to see just how well it will shoot. Also, have some 190 gr. SMK's if I want to stretch it's legs a little bit.

My scp[e is an original 10X Unertl that was appraised at 98% condition. Very nicee

The blueing is a beautiful rust blue done by Steve Nelson in his shop. It doesn't get any better, IMHO.

If you have any questions please ask...

Wes

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's not a Van Orden, but right now the Scout Sniper Association has a rifle raffle for a Vietnam War era USMC Winchester M70 clone build. I donated the rifle and I used original USMC takeoff parts. I figure you guys might be interested in this one, you can buy tickets on the SSA's website:

2022 Marine Corps Vietnam M70 Sniper Rifle Raffle

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased some tickets, thx for the post! It’s a long shot but I think I remember someone win one of these on this forum. Worth a shot!

It's not a Van Orden, but right now the Scout Sniper Association has a rifle raffle for a Vietnam War era USMC Winchester M70 clone build. I donated the rifle and I used original USMC takeoff parts. I figure you guys might be interested in this one, you can buy tickets on the SSA's website:

2022 Marine Corps Vietnam M70 Sniper Rifle Raffle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts