Discussion Starter #1
A Big Bugs!
1. Beginning of the End[1957]10 out of 10. Giant locusts
2. Black Scorpion[1957]10 out 10.
3. Deadly Mantis[1957]9 out of 10.
4. Tarantula[1955]9 out of 10.
5. Them[1954]8 out of 10.

B Killer mutant dinosaurs:
1.Rodan[1957]10 out of 10. military vs. giant sky dinosaur.
2. Godzilla[1956]10 out 10. Must see dinosaur destroying large city.
3.Gigantis[1959]9 out of 10. First giant monster vs. monster mix.
4. Varan the Unbelievable[1958]9 out of ten. Still a fun Kaiju clone.
5. 20 million miles to Earth[1957]How to do a rampaging space dinosaur movie right 10 out of 10.

C. Nature freaks out:
1. Beast from 20,000[ fathoms[1953]10 out of 10. Lead to Godzilla!
2. It came from Beneath the Sea[1955]Best giant killer octopus movie ever. 10 out of 10.
3. King Dinosaur[1955]Dinos like outer space, too, 8 out of 10.
4. The Land Unknown[1957]7 out of 10. Still a fun romp.

D. You name it, they made it gigantic:
1. The Mysterians[1959]10 out of 10. Moguera is the coolest giant enemy robot ever.
2, Kronos[1957]8 out of 10. Giant Space robot absorbs H-bomb.
3. The Amazing Colossal Man[1957]7 out of 10. Still a fun romp.
4. War of the Colossal Beast[1957]7 out of 10 OK sequel.

Honorable Mentions:
1, The Day the World Ended[1955]-monster too little but great film.
2. Revenge of the Creature[1955]-monster too little but great film.
3. Creature with the Atom[Brain]-a 7 out of ten movie, would have loved to see the giant octopus fighting tanks.Still not bad.
4 World Without End[1956]monster too little but awesome film.
5.Day the Earth Stood Still[1951]monster too little but best film[1950-2000].
6.Forbidden Planet[1956]monster too little but still great film.
7.Queen of Outer Space[1958]monster too little but still not bad.
8 Invisible boy[1957]cool fire fight scene with robot. monster too little.
9. The Thing from Another World[1951]Fun fact first horror movie with assault rifles[M-2 carbines]But monster too little.

Unknown to me:
Attack of the 50 foot woman[1958]
The Brain Eaters[1958]
The 30 foot Bride of Candy Rock[1959].
The Monolith Monsters[1957]

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
I put THEM much higher, one of the best. Original THING as well. Forbidden Planet, excellent. Day the Earth Stood Still one of the best also, excellent movie. I didnt see Reptilicus on the list, rarely shown flick but pretty good. I didnt see Caltiki the Immortal Monster either, low budget BLOB rip off. Dont forget Invaders from Mars! Scary when I was a kid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reptilicus, Mothra, and Gorgo did't Come out until 1962 is why. All I consider to be at least 9 out 10.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A. The true Classics:
1. Gorgo[1962]10 out of 10. Huge beast wrecks London and the British army while looking for its baby.
2. Mothra[1962] Most trigger happy giant bug movie ever. 10 out of 10.
3. Destroy All Monsters[1968]True to the panic sense of the orIginal Kaiju classics, 10 out of 10.
4. Reptilicus[1962]True to the dread of Godzilla and Rodan 10 out of 10.
5. Godzilla vs. the Thing[1964]best of the Showa G vs series. 9 out of 10.

B. Superior:
1. The X from Outer Space[1967]8 out of 10. Alien Spore monster wrecks both the army and Tokyo.
2. Gamera vs, Barugon[1966]9 out of ten. Best Showa Gamera flick.
3. Invasion of Astro-Monster[1966]Godzilla and Rodan in a superior sequel to Ghidrah the 3 headed Monster. 8 out of 10.
4. Gappa, the Triphibian Monster[1968. Cool Rodan/Gorgo hybrid with the two Gappas wrecking Tokyo and the
military looking for their baby. 8 out of 10.
5. Yongary[1969]solid Korean Kaiju flick. 8 out of ten.
6. Atragon[1963]Super Sub battles Murian empire and amphibious dragon Manda.8 out of 10.

C. Merely entertaining:
1.Gamera vs. Gyaos[1968].7 out of ten.
2. Gamera vs. Monster X[1967] 7 out of ten.
3. Gamera[1965] 7 out of 10.
4. King Kong vs Godzilla[long cut][1963]7 out of ten.
5. Godzilla vs, the Sea Monster[1966]7 out of ten
6. Ghidrah the three headed monster[1965] 7 out of ten.
7. Son of Godzilla[1967]7 out of ten.

D. Honorable Mentions:
1, In the Year 2889[1967]. Monster too little Still a solid after the holocaust flick.
2. Green Slime[1969]Monsters too little Cartoony but fun Spacemen vs. Monsters.
3, Navy vs. the Night Monsters[1966]. Monsters too little, but solid soldiers vs. plant
monsters fun.
4, Women of the Prehistoric Planet[1966]
5. Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet[1965]
6. Night of the Grizzly[1966]

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The Crawling Eye. In England it was called the Trollenberg Terror. -Lloyd 🍻

Reactions: XXIV Corps

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Scariest flick that I remember as a Kid was X the Unknown a British production. It still gives me chills when I view it.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
While I have a captive audience...I've been looking for two movies I saw yrs ago & don't remember their names.
1st one is about a space ship that went to Mars. It had a lower deck & an upper deck. Somehow a monster got on the lower deck & made it's way into an air duct large enough to drive a VW around in! If that wasn't enough the crew did battle with the monster INSIDE the ship with M1s, Grenades & even a Bazooka!
The second one was Martian Robots invade a US city. They have a glass faceplate on their suit & are ultimately thwarted by Radio Waves that fracture the glass plate & render them inop.
I always thought they were the coolest of the cool when I was a kid!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Andy :

It! The Terror from Beyond Space is an independently made 1958 American science fiction horror film, produced by Robert Kent, directed by Edward L. Cahn, that stars Marshall Thompson, Shawn Smith (Shirley Patterson), and Kim Spalding.[1] The film was distributed by United Artists as a double feature with Curse of the Faceless Man.[2]
The story involves Earth's second mission to Mars to discover the fate of the first. They find a sole survivor of that mission and bring him back. The survivor, the expedition's former commander, claims that his crew were killed by a hostile Martian life form. No one believes him until the creature, now a stowaway, begins hunting the rescue ship's crew as they return to Earth.
The film's premise has been cited as an inspiration for screenwriter Dan O'Bannon's screenplay for Ridley Scott's 1979 film Alien.[2]

Give me time I'll dig up the other one....

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Andy I remember the Martian rescue flick. Good one too. I'm surprised no one mentioned "The Fly" with David Hedison and Vincent Price. Made in '58. -Lloyd 🥃

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
It! The Terror from Beyond Space, or something like that had grenades and other WII type weapons.

Although not a giant monster, The Tingler spooked me pretty good as a 4 or 5 year old in the early 60s.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Andy, I caught this old flick yesterday that kinda matches your description of that 2nd movie : "Invisible Invaders". Screenplay seems like kinda a rip-off of Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space", about invisible aliens from the Moon are fed up with man's nuclear testing and threaten to invade using the bodies of the dead, ultimately a sound weapon is developed to defeat them. Stars John Carradine : Invisible Invaders (1959) - IMDb

·
Registered
187 Posts
When watching "The Giant Claw," it is required that everyone throw back a shot when you hear the phrase "big as a battleship!"

It's reputed that the star, seeing the assembled work for the first time, snuck out of the premier midway through and wouldn't leave his house for weeks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Trying to remember the name of a wonderfully awful one about giant mutated shrews, played by what looks to be Afghan hounds in prosthetic makeup running through the woods.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Trying to remember the name of a wonderfully awful one about giant mutated shrews, played by what looks to be Afghan hounds in prosthetic makeup running through the woods.
It was simply called "The Killer Shrews"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts