M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technically it's a pistol...so I'm hoping someone has messed with one...I've got a 1927 A1 Thompson pistol....

Now I want to install a Cutts Compensator on it...OK, it looks good with one...so kill me!GI2

Does anyone know if:
1) the front sight/band screws off once you knock the pin out?
2) will a genuine Cutts Compensator for a Thompson screw right on?
If anyone knows..help me out....before I go messing with the thing!
Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
SA Thompson

Most new (full sized) ones have the cutts pressed on. Mine does. The ones without do too. The pin is there to hold on the FS.

I belive that I read that there isn't enought metal to thread on a "real" cutts, so you may have to press on a Kahr one, or get a new M1928 barrel. Thompson barrrels are not timed so a threaded one will have to be re-drilled for the compensator pin and the FS because the FS might end up upside down when tight the barrel/compensator is tight

Of course you could get a new GI barrel.

Do not change the front handgrip to a vertical one - that makes the gun an AOW.

See: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ for better info

Or PM me for Thompson gunsmiths. There will be a wait, but they can turn a Kahr gun into a near-real one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GI3 Thanks..I kinda figured it was pressed on, I was hoping someone would tell me different!....I have a genuine Tommy gun...I just figured this one would be fun, especially since there are no special papers involved...

So , I'll probably leave it as it came.dance2

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I have a pre-Kahr Auto-Ord Thompson M1 type. It looks like the end of the barrel and site are the same as your pistol. I purchased an old, original Cutts comp for it. The comp is threaded and also has a hole for a roll pin. Looks to me like it will NOT work on my barrel for all the reasons mentioned previously. I'm searching for a mil barrel now (and will SBR it), but they seem hard to find.

Regards, Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts