M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to knock off work on time today and get my Eddystone out. Seeing as how Sierra discontinued production of the 135 SMK, I wanted to make sure my 125 TNT load played well with everything.

I picked this up a few years ago. Had a new criterion barrel screwed on before the previous owner (also a match shooter) decided he couldn't see the sights anymore.

Seemed to work okay. Took three strings playing with the sights to get them consistently toward the middle (albeit, still high in the 10 Ring).

Fired from a sling at 100 Yards. I talked myself out of the last two shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice Rifle.
I just got a set of RCBS dies from my buddy, so now I'm ready to load up some 06 for mine, or should I say, Grandpa's 1917 Eddystone.

Definitely, cool rifles. The little that I have shot it, was a really comfy ride and a good trigger. Can't wait to do it some more.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Your RO looks to be a no-nonsense rule follower!

The vertical spread looks particularly good. I’ve never tried the 125s but many people have reported similar great results. Nice looking range and setup you have.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I picked up a 1917 Eddystone a couple of months ago and it shoots decent groups with Greek surplus I bought from CMP. I developed a light load for 50 meter offhand vintage rifle matches we hold at the gun club each month and recoil is incredibly light. It is one of my favorite rifles.

I don't have the benefit of a sharp R.O. like you have in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I picked up a 1917 Eddystone a couple of months ago and it shoots decent groups with Greek surplus I bought from CMP. I developed a light load for 50 meter offhand vintage rifle matches we hold at the gun club each month and recoil is incredibly light. It is one of my favorite rifles.

I don't have the benefit of a sharp R.O. like you have in the pic.
Congratulations on the find! That’s a beautiful rifle! I really can’t speak highly enough for how nice of a shooter they are. Their sibling, the P14 is no slouch either, but something about that .30-06 round feels so much more authoritative than the .303 when putting rounds downrange.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Your range set up, is MOST impressive. Well done. The utility vehicle on a 100 yard range with a shot tracking system, may be a touch over the top. All the same, Bravo.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your range set up, is MOST impressive. Well done. The utility vehicle on a 100 yard range with a shot tracking system, may be a touch over the top. All the same, Bravo.

It does seem like overkill and the height of lazynessUSNA, but I use both because I have to drive about 1/2 mile(One Way) each time to paste up. In-between my firing point and my backstop is a drain (most of the time it's only a few inches deep). In order to put a culvert, it would require a 12ft Diameter Elliptical piece of pipe(I priced one, Ouch!). I am trying to figure out where on this patch of land I could fit in a 200 or 300 yard range, but as of now, all I have is 100. About the time that I can start doing something to fix that, other times of the year and hobbies get in the way. Now, I have all kinds of time to clear, which I've been working on. That being said, I'm afraid to spend a dime until we get to the other side of the current situation.

I used to put up a couple of cardboard sheets with centers on them, shoot ten on one and move over to the other. With this system, I can keep going until I tear the black up enough that it effects my sight picture (More Evident with the Service Rifle Optic than these old guys with the irons).

The old man comes over and the two of us can chip away at the target all day. Really nice during the winter months because it isn't a fun drive back there in an open cab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts