M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got an idea what the going price for a shooter P17 is going for these days?

Thanks

Jack

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
Average range is from what I've seen around $500-700. Depends on condition, etc. you know...DI5

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Average range is from what I've seen around $500-700. Depends on condition, etc. you know...DI5
Been the same for the last 5-6 years in my neck of the woods. The highest prices are on Winchesters (all correct) and I've got one with bayo I tried to turn when the were going for $1K and no takers. Still got it and shoot it 'cuz I ain't taking no bath on it !

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I am seeing the same numbers down south.

CX

·
Registered
279 Posts
I saw one yesterday in a pawn shop.. edystone about $550 barrel looked great, no pitting was import marked...so not a collector item yet, magazine follower has been ground down.. it was nicer than my CMP edystone..I'd have bought it had I the extra scratch..and a place to put it.. B2B

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Same in the PNW. A shop down the road has a pair on consignment that I looked at before they were put up for sale. Both had rusty bores, one a badly nicked crown and on one some doof had sawed the ears off the front sight.

That being said, externally they are both very nice so if a guy didn't take a close look or know what he's looking at he might spring for one or both of them. One is and Eddystone and the other a Remington. Too bad, I'd like to have one of them, but not at that price.

This is the same shop that had an 03A3 that was very minty, also a consignment, for about $1K. Which at the time was about $200 high in my estimation. That rifle sat on the shelf for over a year until the shop owner told the seller that the price had to come down. I finally bought it at the lower price.

Dealers like this guy are the ones that are driving the prices up on all WWI/WWII/Korea War weapons. He's gotten several Garands in that were real dogs that he still sold at high prices.

He also has a M1A in on consignment for $1500. A standard grade, while all USGI parts, it's still too much money for what he has. Plus there's tax on top of that! It will sit there for a long time, too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hate to say this but...Its what ever the market will bare. at one shop in NW Phoenix I seen two 1903's askin 1400 ea!! and at the same store a mint Enfield#4mk2 going for 230$ The 1903's were actualy about a 600$ rifles the one had a damaged sight but was a remington.they wont sell at that price. too bad cause I had the fever!

In tucson I got an Eddystone mixmaster with a bad barrel for 300 and a beautiful stared early winchester complete with a really bad barrel for 400.

I seen junk m1's going for 9-1200 Bucks!

Back east you guys pay a premium

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the help men.
I went to the gunshow in Hickory NC today and didn't find anything that I was interested in so I stopped at a nearby gunstore and found a Winchester with a 3-19 winchester barrel. The barrel has a little pitting in front of the chamber, don't think it going to be a problem as it seems to shoot very well. I'll bench it next week and find out for sure.

The bolt doesn't have the flaming bomb stamp but has a P or R stamp underneath handle. It seem to be a mix master, but it's mine :)

I paid $400.00 for it and am very happy.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I sold a Winchester last summer for $675. There is an Eddystone for sale in a local gun shop here in the PNW for $500. Looks to be in decent shape.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shot my Winchester 1917 today and it's real accurate.

shot 5 shots at 100yds. I pulled the 3rd shot. the other 4 measured 2 1/2"X 1 1/2".

shooting HXP 65

·
Registered
300 Posts
it depends on the shooting you intend to do , if all you want is to punch paper or casual hunt most any will do , you can get a nice M17 or P14 for that in 300-450 range these got used by VFWs for military funerals ,

if you like to shoot long range with accurate results you may find a really nice shooter in the recent re-imports in the 450-up range ,

but , if your talking precision /military competition , that you think you might win , you may need to go for those in excellent shape upwards of 750-900 , that have been carefully accurized - these can be sweet shooting rifles ,

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
prices are all over on these rifles, depending on exactly what you want, and condition. shooter grades start at approx $350, and climb quickly. some collectible ones can get fairly spendy. i woulndt sell my 1917 LL rifle unless someone offered me a bit north of a grand for it, but that ones is all original matching with the exception of the danish front sight, and red paint on it.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i lucked out and got mine for $375 at an estate auction. it is in excellent condition with all matching parts.........

yeah....i know.......

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Saw a nice one sell for $450.00 the other day. If they werent so darn ugly I would have snatched it up myselfICONSMILE

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
1917s in original condition , non-rebuilt , with all the metal still polished and blued can bring some very high prices. Winchester made the fewest and usually command the highest prices , Remington second and Eddystone the most.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A few years ago there were 2-3 of them from Rock Island Auction co. that brought $6-7000 each...they were all original, non-import, mint and unissued (not the "exc." condition you occasionally see for sale). I've never seen better M1917s. All had slings and bayos in the same condition. While guns that good are mostly in museums, good shooters I see regularly for $500-700 but they aren't moving too quickly at those prices.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i got mine for $375 in an estate sale and had the gun shipped to me. upon receiving it i realized it was a P14...not a 1917. it is stamped with a "W" meaning it is a Winchester. all the parts match and the stock is perfect. action is smooth and bore is good. how much less is this gun worth, it being a Britt .303 P14 instead of the US 1917?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It appears that yours is a Pattern 14 Brit rifle in a M1917 stock as the P14 rifles had volley sights on the LH side of the stock (most of the posts have been removed but the disc remains). Even so I'd say you did well at $375!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
green lantern.

can you post pics of what you are talking about? so you are saying the rifle is a P14 in a 1917 stock? the rifle is a .303 right? i dont want to chamber the wrong round in here. i have not even shot it yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts