M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand 1911 parts are rarely, if ever, drop in, but which parts are typically shared between double stack (2011) and single stack 1911s? Are the sear and hammer interchangeable? Can a normal trigger be attached to a double stack trigger bow? I'm finding surprisingly little information online on these specifics.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
I understand 1911 parts are rarely, if ever, drop in, but which parts are typically shared between double stack (2011) and single stack 1911s? Are the sear and hammer interchangeable? Can a normal trigger be attached to a double stack trigger bow? I'm finding surprisingly little information online on these specifics.
The trigger, mag, mag release, grip safety and frame are unique too the double stack. Everything else is common 1911 stuff.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,644 Posts
Are you looking to attach the front part of the SS trigger to the DS bow to make your own ? I the trigger you want not available in a DS trigger?
If you could get them apart then I would think it could be done.

Casey

·
Registered
376 Posts
Grip safety IS interchangeable between standard and double stacks if the frame is Rock Island or PARA... Sometimes, there may be a problem with the DISCONNECTOR not being quite long enough, and a PARA part is required. The original PARA "Gunsmith Kits" were designed so that you could dissemble any 1911 and use the parts to build a double stack 1911... the proprietary parts (trigger, magazine, and magazine release) were included in the kit, everything else came from the 1911 YOU supplied. Those were great kits, I wish I could find a couple of them today...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
The trigger, mag, mag release, grip safety and frame are unique too the double stack. Everything else is common 1911 stuff.
The grip safety is not unique to the double stack 1911s....

You have the choice of the wide beaver-tail or the narrow USGI, but they interchange between the similar narrow-body and wide body.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Grip safety IS interchangeable between standard and double stacks if the frame is Rock Island or PARA... Sometimes, there may be a problem with the DISCONNECTOR not being quite long enough, and a PARA part is required. The original PARA "Gunsmith Kits" were designed so that you could dissemble any 1911 and use the parts to build a double stack 1911... the proprietary parts (trigger, magazine, and magazine release) were included in the kit, everything else came from the 1911 YOU supplied. Those were great kits, I wish I could find a couple of them today...
The disconnector issue is a Rock Island specific issue. RI disconnector may be too short, but USGI disconnectors also correct the problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a completed PO Gen 1 (blocky) and Gen 2 rounded frame kit. Came with plastic grips, grip screws, magazine, plastic magazine release (no inner spring or screw) plastic standard 1911 guide rod, & trigger. Trigger shoe is plastic. No set screw. You are probably better off getting a aftermarket PO trigger with a a lightened aluminum shoe with a set screw.

Grips and screws fit only the PO wide body frame. 1911 grips and screws will not fit.

Frame was not milled for a ramped barrel but I had the Gen 2 frame milled ( Clark Briley cut) later for a ramped supported barrel. The used Gen 1 frame I got from a friend had the framed milled already from a gunsmith.

There is a slot on the frame to use series 80's parts but I put in a shim to take up the space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts