M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this old gun and it has been unloved for quite some time! So I have a few questions for anyone who can answer? First the little pin in the mainspring housing does it stay in to prevent the spring from extending out of the housing? Second if it does stay in why does one need to push it in to disassemble? Third if I order one do they usually come with the spring assembly or is it another purchase order? Also any advise on re-parking should I try a kit or send it out? Any advise is greatly needed! Thank You

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have this old gun and it has been unloved for quite some time! So I have a few questions for anyone who can answer? First the little pin in the mainspring housing does it stay in to prevent the spring from extending out of the housing? Second if it does stay in why does one need to push it in to disassemble? Third if I order one do they usually come with the spring assembly or is it another purchase order? Also any advise on re-parking should I try a kit or send it out? Any advise is greatly needed! Thank You
1. YES
2. You push on the spring to release tension from the pin to remove the pin.
3. Some MH comes as a complete assembly most do not. If the one you order do not have the spring already installed use the old one from the MH you removed.
4. No idea, I' have never reparked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kimber sells mainspring housing with all parts installed ready for you...

I got one with lanyard for my SAI Mil-Spec.....

Regards, Madog

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Quick tip if replacing the MSH: make sure you de-**** the hammer, then use zip ties or rubber bands to hold the grip safety in before removing the MSH. This will keep internal parts in place for re-assembly.

I had very good luck with an Ed Brown MSH going into a Kimber recently. YMMV

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I have not been watching this thread, but I am going to replace the main spring housing it looks like [email protected]#% its all battered to hell looks like someone took a die grinder to it its shot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have this whole pistol apart it needs everything replaced.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Everything replaced? what does that mean? Take into account that after market parts will cost more depending on what you buy. Also each part you replace, even though it says drop in, will / may require final fitting.

You can buy parts from:

Numrich
MidwayUSA
Brownells

I would also check gun shows, some body has to sell parts at a gun show and it will a heck of a lot cheaper there.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Who is the manufacturer of your 1911 and how old is it. Can you post some pics for us?

We would be really curious to see what it looks like.

Also how familiar are you with the 1911 platform?

Pics would be really helpful, give us a better idea of what you have and if it is worth the investment in replacement parts or if parts need to be replaced at all. A lot of us here own 1911's and can probably give you all the help you need.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Unless it's just a big clump of rust, I don't see why every part would have to be replaced. Like Stick said, pic's would be helpful. I know I have some 1911 parts laying around I could
contribute to the right cause.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again I have not been watching this thread I just decided to buy a new Colt 70 ss. Yes that pistol was found in a toilet or something it is rusted beyond repair I don't see any use to waste the money that could go to the new. It has a Caspian frame and an unknown slide it was missing everything internal.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Okay, that clears that up. Sounds like it is beyond saving.

Congratulations on your new series 70. I think you will enjoy it. I love my old Gold Cup. Great pistol. I just don't think you can go wrong with a 1911.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No congrats yet I have yet to purchase the Colt I am in the process of a LRB build and it is going to be some cash so its me and the Sig .40 for awhile.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depending on what your are building it for while in the market for a mainspring housing you might consider looking into the cut-down version offered by Ed Brown, it is a simple installation and reduces that corner of the pistol from sticking out from under clothing, especially if you like to carry in the small of your back. I rebuilt a very nice old government model that had already been altered by the addition of a Wilson barrel and other shooting accessories. I am looking for a commander to do the same thing to and would install the EB mainspring housing for the reason I stated above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts