M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks-

I’m in the market for a quality, IWB leather holster for my Colt LW Comm. I like the classic Milt Sparks SS. Kydex will destroy the finish over time. Critique? Opinions? Suggestions? Thank you!

·
Administrator
18,174 Posts
Reactions: Tommy1121

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Let me just say that holster selection is a very personal thing. What someone else finds good probably won’t satisfy you. The only way to get what works for you is eliminate everything that has an obvious issue in your mind. Then choose the one you think is most likely to fit your needs from the remainder. Don’t go with what seems to be the best deal. Go with what you really think is best. Even then you might have to try again.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I should have been more specific on the Milt Sparks SS. I primarily use kydex for its very thin and retention ability. The classic SS look like a good alternative in a quality leather IWB rig.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for replying. After 35 yrs of carrying every imaginable leather holster from the 80’s Bianchi and Galco, I’ve never given a thought on any Milt Sparks holsters. (Bad Tommy!)
I like the internal leather of the SS reducing finish wear, unlike kydex.
I wear at the 1600 position IWB and think this rig with a quality matching belt will serve me and my commander well.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thank you for replying. After 35 yrs of carrying every imaginable leather holster from the 80’s Bianchi and Galco, I’ve never given a thought on any Milt Sparks holsters. (Bad Tommy!)
I like the internal leather of the SS reducing finish wear, unlike kydex.
I wear at the 1600 position IWB and think this rig with a quality matching belt will serve me and my commander well.
I have a Milt Sparks SS in horse leather for my 3” ultra carry Kimber, very nice holster. He’s got a 24 week lead but he always has a long lead time .

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I really dig the Urban Carry IWB hybrid holsters. They are mostly leather, but they have a Kydex bracket encapsulated in the leather. This allows you to set your tension for the retention clip. Once set, while holstering, the clip will "click." You can both hear and feel it. The best way to determine if your holsters is set appropriately is to see if it falls out when held upside down with a mild shake.

I love the UC holsters so much I have 4 now.... They have just enough flex be comfortable, and they are just rigid enough.

But yes, holsters are a personal decision.

·
Banned
138 Posts
My own choice has been to use an IWB that is closely matched by an OWB from the same maker. And to have a couple in different colors to switch off and so it goes.

Notice that no particular IWB has swept the market and most all of the fine makers offer more than one model.

There has been a slow movement toward appendix carry - including the use of the original Summer Special by the original maker. There are some improved appendix carry designs - one that is slow in coming to market I'm still interested in after a couple years wait - but any best has yet to be made.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you again folks for all your replies!

Just ordered me an "in stock" Milt Sparks SS II with dual belt loops in both 1.5 and 1.75,
shipping out tomorrow. :)

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just received my Milt Sparks SS II for my Colt LW Commander.
Let me tell you what....I've been carrying concealed since 1986 and this has got to be the most
comfortable, perfectly molded, perfectly fit leather holster I've owned, and I've owned many.
I paid $158.00 including both 1.5 and 1.75 belt snaps and the quality shows.
I'm sure there are many, many choices but wow, I'm hooked.

Thank you to all that replied with their suggestions and help. I greatly appreciate
your time.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Galco Royal Guard - Horsehide. Rigid and stays in place, long wearing. Don't like plastic - against my hide or the gun's! CC

Reactions: Tommy1121
1 - 14 of 14 Posts