1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I finally found grips that I really like from VZ. Been a lifelong search to get something that has the bite I am looking for.

Here are my main Bullseye guns.
Marvel conversion on a dedicated lower (I like the 4-dot on the .22)
Essex Frame with NM slide wad gun. This has been rebuilt a couple of times.
Series 70 ball gun with custom guts.

[URL=http://s698.photobucket.com/user/sdedier/media/Misc%20Stuff/IMG_2714_zps391b9e2f.jpg.html][/URL]
WHoaaaaa, there mister......... details in detail on all three. I have my on ball gun project in the works, maybe you've see it? Here is a before and after.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phil, I am liking your ball gun project.
My gun started out as a straight Series 70.
In the late 1970's an ex USMC pistol team armorer by the name of Harold Johnson built it up. Kart NM barrel and bushing. New trigger lineup.
Sights are original Bo-mar from back in the day. It still shoots much better than me.
Invest in sights. For me, KY windage just is way too difficult at 50yd. I have enough trouble staying focused on the front sight as it is. Keep the pictures of your project coming!
I shoot white box match at 50 yd in matches and put 4.0g BE behind a Zero or Magnus 230g FMJ for the short line. Still working on getting distinguished. Have 16 points so halfway home.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I hear you on the sights I scored on a BOMAR BCMS from Fleabay. I'm at a point where I would like two more hard parts, a front sight and a Kart barrel then the parts collection is finished.

Finding quality machine work at a fair price is tricky, so I'm looking at SACS for one stop shopping. From what I've seen there work is just as good as the top tier gun plumbers and cheaper.

Thanks for the load data, I've always loaded 185 Nosler's on top of 4.5 BE or VV310, not that it matters any as both can't be found right now. I did find some W231 so Sat that will get tested at the same time as the pistol.

I have heard the stories of it taking a few hundred rounds for tight pistols too smooth out and run, and this is as tight as any Baer pistol. TonyBen has said his pistol took some time I think he said about 1500rds before it started too run right. So if you remember how long did it take your pistol too start running well. I'm just wondering if its in the avg? I really don't want too get 1000rds deep before it starts too run well that's no fun. I guess the up side is if that's the case the slide and the frame will burnish in before a new barrel gets slid in.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Here's mine, a Colt 1911 .38 Special wadcutter, it also has a fitted .38 AMU barrel.
I just saw a .38 AMU mag on flea bay, don't remember the price they don't crop up. So check it out, its good too have as many spare as you can lay your hands on with that critter!

Oh yea, how it shoot?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Phil she is real accurate using a old H&G 37 wadcutter bullet. Has you could guess she is real smooth and recoil extremely light, just a joy to shoot. She normally wears the 38 Spl barrel and is a tad more accurate than the AMU. Components for the AMU (brass & magazines) do turn up from time to time but are at a premium when they do. I have found that I can substitute 38 super mags with little effort to have them function with the AMU.
I use the same slide for both. (It is a factory marked 38 Spl slide) I just have to trade out the extractor & barrel, not a big deal but it would be nice just to have another upper already set to go for the AMU.
Lately with the 22lr shortage and it being so cheap to load for her, she has been getting a lot of trigger time lately.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
In the late 1970's an ex USMC pistol team armorer by the name of Harold Johnson built it up.
If Harold Johnson built them, I know they shoot. I have two Trophy Matches he built that I bought from a member of my gun club. He is local to me and, although I have never met him, I have heard stories from others that he was quite a character. I understand he retired from gunsmithing a couple years ago.

Reactions: gulliver62

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deacon, sounds like you are in my old stomping grounds then. I wasn't even sure Harold was still with us. I spent some fun times with him going up the the OGCA when it was in Colombus and he build all of my guns initially. He was a character to say the least and that crew must have been hell on wheels back in the day. Many great Frank Higginson and 'Moose' Gunderson stories. I especially enjoyed hearing about shooting at the coy in the restaurant pond in Japan!

Grew up shooting at Cincinnati Revolver Club, Miami R&P, Fairfiield, Lynchburg and others in the area. It was a great bullseye community.

Reactions: Deacon

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Deacon, sounds like you are in my old stomping grounds then. I wasn't even sure Harold was still with us. I spent some fun times with him going up the the OGCA when it was in Colombus and he build all of my guns initially. He was a character to say the least and that crew must have been hell on wheels back in the day. Many great Frank Higginson and 'Moose' Gunderson stories. I especially enjoyed hearing about shooting at the coy in the restaurant pond in Japan!

Grew up shooting at Cincinnati Revolver Club, Miami R&P, Fairfiield, Lynchburg and others in the area. It was a great bullseye community.
AFAIK he is still alive, someone said a few weeks ago that his wife was in bad shape. I heard if you took him your pistol and told him you were in a hurry, it was hard to tell when you would get it back!

I'm just outside of Hamilton, was a member of Fairfield, but now just Butler County Sportsmen's. Haven't shot bullseye for about a year and a half; need to get back into it.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
After looking at Gulliver62's shooting Iron's. I was flip flopping what too do with my junker slide, after all its trashed for a hard ball gun. As I was just about too toss it in the trash then it came too me. Keep it and install a slide rib too cover the unsightly sight cuts and use it for a wadgun upper.

I blame Gulliver62 for this mess...................

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's about time I convinced someone else to take on a new project. Seems to happen to me on these boards all the time.

Pilotc - just my opinion but if you have a new Gold Cup bought in the late 1960's you should leave it intact. Those are quite sought after and I would not mess with it. Again just me. Or I will be happy to buy new Range Officer and trade you for it GI1GI1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts