M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
If you're going to use them in a .300WinMag, the A191 load is hard to beat.

190grn SMK
73grns RL22
Federal or Winchester brass
Winchester Magnum Primer
OAL 3.490”

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I don't think those 190grn pills will be the best stabilized projectile through your barrel twist, which is 1:11". You'll be better off with something in the 175grn and lighter range. Not sure about the OAL working in the magazine, either.

If all you have is 65 of them, I don't see it being worth the trouble.

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
Wound up with 65 of these in a trade, is it worth working up a load for them if I never intend to use them again?
If so what are your results, I know mine may vary.
M1A Scout.

Your barrel has enough twist its just that's its too short, I could give you a load but its for a full length barrel and for long range (1000yds) use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well that's all I load and shoot in my M1A1 Super Match 1in12 twist....I mostly use LC brass. So I load to keep the pressure down and not slam the action.
Here is the load I use. I have been using this for years. Good solid load for 1000 yards....

190 gr SRA HPBT
40Gr IMR 4064
CCI 200 Primer

J R

·
Registered
219 Posts
This load doesn't beat the hell out of the gun?

Well that's all I load and shoot in my M1A1 Super Match 1in12 twist....I mostly use LC brass. So I load to keep the pressure down and not slam the action.
Here is the load I use. I have been using this for years. Good solid load for 1000 yards....

190 gr SRA HPBT
40Gr IMR 4064
CCI 200 Primer

J R

·
Registered
77 Posts
This load doesn't beat the hell out of the gun?
As I said in my post; I load to keep the pressure down and not slam the action. This load is 10 to 15 % below max pressure. Just so you know, I did not make up this load. I got it at Camp Perry a lot of years ago, from guys in the Army that I shot with that knew what they were doing. I have only used this load in a Super Match. The 190 gr SRA HPBT and the 1 in 12 twist fly's very nice, X wind is less a factor as well. Also it has a lot more knock down power at a 1000 yards than a 165 gr. If you are shooting something other than paper.....

J R

·
Registered
455 Posts
Did you ever chronograph that load?. I have tested 190's with 41.0 grains AA4064, in a bolt rifle, and the velocities out of a 26" barrel were 2465 fps, which was too slow for my 1000 shooting. So I never tested a lighter charge.

I have had issues with 190 Hornady's tumbling at 1000 yards, I assume they went subsonic. I shot my 190 SMK's in one string, then switched to the same load with 190 Hornady's and the bullets landed below the target, I assume eight feet low. When I got on target the pitts told me the bullets were tumbling.

I have heard from graybeards that they did shoot 190's at 600/1000 yards, but these guys were on Service rifle teams and Uncle Sam fixed everything for free. Since I pay for my repairs I am leery of using 190's in my M1a.

My Supermatch has a 1:10 barrel and that twist is fine for 190's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did you ever chronograph that load?. I have tested 190's with 41.0 grains AA4064, in a bolt rifle, and the velocities out of a 26" barrel were 2465 fps, which was too slow for my 1000 shooting. So I never tested a lighter charge.

I have had issues with 190 Hornady's tumbling at 1000 yards, I assume they went subsonic. I shot my 190 SMK's in one string, then switched to the same load with 190 Hornady's and the bullets landed below the target, I assume eight feet low. When I got on target the pitts told me the bullets were tumbling.

I have heard from graybeards that they did shoot 190's at 600/1000 yards, but these guys were on Service rifle teams and Uncle Sam fixed everything for free. Since I pay for my repairs I am leery of using 190's in my M1a.

My Supermatch has a 1:10 barrel and that twist is fine for 190's.
I have also had issues Hornady's bullets over the years, not just with the 190's. So I don't use them. I do however use their HP/XTP 230 GR in my 45 Win Mag. So I use Sierra and have for years. I guess I am just an old dog....GI2 Yes I was a back up shooter on one of the Army's teams; pistol & rifle in late 1970. I was at Camp Perry for the Presidents 100, I was not shooting in competition, but the guys that were, helped me out a lot with my shooting. I have been shooting 1000 yards since I was 13.

I just went to Seattle 2 months ago and emptied 2 storage units that I have had for 3 years. Most if not all my reloading was in the units. Currently I am working on setting up the reloading man caveGI1 But I have yet to get into the boxes with all the books/notes. So I can 't look up what I have on this load at this time. I will try and remember to post what I find, when I find it......Pic of Reloading Man Cave..

J R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.