M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was the front site cover only to protect the site in transport? Was the site cover to be left on when deployed (shooting)??

·
Registered
762 Posts
There are two different style sight covers.
A large(USMC) and a small. The USMC cover is big enough to leave on and does help with aiming. The smaller one is for transport only.
A guy named Bill Bentz makes a repro USMC. Originals are tough to find and upwards of $75 when you do.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are two different style sight covers.
A large(USMC) and a small. The USMC cover is big enough to leave on and does help with aiming. The smaller one is for transport only.
A guy named Bill Bentz makes a repro USMC. Originals are tough to find and upwards of $75 when you do.
Wolley, pretty sure mine is the small one . . . this is the one I have . . looks like it has been modified by removing the tabs.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yes, that is the small one. The sight blade will almost touch the cover. You can look through at a target and see why it is difficult to use it when shooting.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
wow...I have six of the originals with their OD snap canvas covers back in Nebraska. I had no idea they were worth $$$ now. It is just a stupid sight cover and little bag after all !!!

They were in the bag when I bought a bayonet from a guy.

all mine are small BTW....this is really wierd.

·
Registered
762 Posts
To be clear Retired,
The small ones are a dime a dozen and worth about 3 bucks at a gunshow.
The large ring USMC style are fairly rare and command top dollar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be clear Retired,
The small ones are a dime a dozen and worth about 3 bucks at a gunshow.
The large ring USMC style are fairly rare and command top dollar.
I'm new to this forum, where would I find one of these site covers other than eBay? GI1

Sal

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not so sure that it was just for shipping. There may well be a larger one that was used later; but this was issued pretty early on?

From this:

It shows this:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Where can I get a copy of TM9-1270????? I have a Federal Ordinance (Start laughing now) 1903A3 that shoots very nicely. While certainly only worth about a third of a real 1903A3 at best, I would still like the manual. I have stripped it pretty much to nothing and reassembled it, but I would still like to have the manual.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
At Amazon I got the ".30 Model 1903 Springfield Handbook", it's not the Gov. issue but does the trick. You would also like "The Model 1903 Springfield and it's Variations" by Joe Poyer. Tells you what all the stampings mean. I have a Remington M1903 A3 and these books were great tools.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I believe you can source the site protector from Fulton Armory?? Normally not to be used
while shooting, restricts vision somewhat and shadows front sight blade or at least that is what my Grandfather told me at an early age shooting his '03 from his time in the Marine Corps. Always interesting to hear him talk about the campaign's in so called "banana republics."

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just found a Remington front sight cover on Ebay. It looks large enough to still use the front sight, but no matter, the blade is fragile looking. At least now it will be protected. It has the proper markings.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
The larger USMC front sight covers/protectors were definitely used on Guadalcanal but I haven't seen any hard evidence of their use after that probably because the Marine Corps was able to afford M1's in large numbers.

Regardless of the number of posts on this topic, we will still be seeing people trying to shoot 03's and 03A3's with the small front sight protectors on our range.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well I got the front sight hood. It might be good for looking through, but not shooting through. As I said, I'm glad to have it for protection. No it's not a remote camera, but the bolt is out!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Because of the marks left by installing and removing the front sight protector, I've been using an old O'Hare match protector but prices on these have risen sharply. I doubt that I'd spend the money now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts