M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy one not from a drill rifle. Anyone know who sells em? Been searching hi and lo. Thanks. Been looking on gb but only former drill rifle receivers from old western scrounged and if he isn't making a complete rifle with it I am assuming it is junk.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to pick a reciever up and piece together a propper sniper rifle. Seem like every worth while sporterized 03a3 I find on GB and AA sells for more than a reasonable price.

I hope I dont miss the CMP release.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Are the 03A1 harder to find than the A3s?

I want to build a rifle for the vintage sniper matches. I want an A1 with the long external adjustment scope at 6-8X power. I checked out the 2.5 scopes in the A4s, they are not what I consider optimum for bullseye at 300 and 600.

If anyone has an A1 rifle PM me if you want to sell or trade it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reports are if you get a CMP bolt rifle this fall, it would be wise to have a good barrel squirreled away as these are primarily ceremonial rifles that have fired a lot of blanks with little cleaning and many if not most of the barrels will be sewer pipes.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Not a thing wrong with the recovered drill receivers.
You are missing out by not considering one and it is highly unlikely that you will find an 03A3 stripped receiver that was not a drill rifle at one time.

Consider this when condemming drill receivers.
A lot of the sporterized 1903s and A3s were done by old school gunsmiths who used what was standard precedure for the day to drill and tap. They heated the receiver to anneal it so that it could be drilled and tapped with standard tools. This heating took place in the most vulnerable spot on the receiver. Right above the lug recess.
I would be a lot more concerned with one of these than a drill receiver that had a small tack weld applied very quickly to a non-load bearing area.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They may be "fine" to use........I passed up several until I found an unmolested one.....I would do my research. I have seen some of scroungers and some of them look like crap. If you have to have the rifle just wait it out and you'll find one.........Buying a receiver is more costly in the long run than buying a nice rifle outright......all those little pieces add up. I bought a barreled receiver and pieced the rest and it cost me $$.......I love the rifle though and it is a shooter.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
Are the 03A1 harder to find than the A3s?

I want to build a rifle for the vintage sniper matches. I want an A1 with the long external adjustment scope at 6-8X power. I checked out the 2.5 scopes in the A4s, they are not what I consider optimum for bullseye at 300 and 600.

If anyone has an A1 rifle PM me if you want to sell or trade it.
Nez , the 03a1 is a tricky rifle. Many feel that only the latest SA rifles in prewar "C" stocks installed at SA when new are legit 03a1 rifles. Uncle Sam said that any 03 rifle in a "C" stock became a 03a1. And this isn't even getting into the "C" stocks installed on NM or upgraded NM rifle debate.

My view is a little more flexable with 03a1 rifles, any SA reciever made from 1.4mil untell the end for production, and has a barrel dated 1933 and up, in a SA prewar "C" stock, is a could be 03a1 rifle but there is no true way too know how the rifle was originally made unless you have the original sales docs. Many NRA sales rifles and NM rifles where also made in this block further adding to the comfusion. And this isn't getting into the single heat treatment replacement recievers.

03 rifles made by Rock Island or Remington installed into a "C" stock is still a 03 in a replacement stock and while Uncle Sam said its now a 03a1, thats not how it was made originally. Some people get upset when you try too explain the differance, like your reaching into the wallet and stealing money out of it, but they still need too know even if it hurts there pride.

I believe the rifle your looking for is a Marine Corps M1941 rifle, its a 03 rifle fitted in a prewar "C" stock with a 8x Unertel scope original rifles are few and expensive. A cloned M1941 rifle while not cheap is still affordable, the rifle you discribe with the 03a3 action with a 2.5 power scope is the U.S.Army's 03a4 rifle there common and a cheap rifle too clone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.