M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I been wanting to collect a few of the american military surplus guns too. I really like the Auto-Ordnance M1 carbine but its the new one. Some of the prices on the ww2 orginal stuff is just way too high. I may go the new route or go to gun shows and look for the walk in's selling them. I seen one rockola m1 carbine for $750 a while back by a walk in but i wasn't interested in them at that time.

Right now with the price on the american surplus stuff being so high i might as well go with the new stuff? I'm hesitant and on the fence now. Bill

www.aimsurplus.com is offering the 1903 springfield at a very affordable price now. She's a refurb but she looks great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe all three of the mentioned rifles have equal historical significance among the manufacturers. As for collectibility value and appreciation potential, the manufacturers with the lesser production numbers, usually will see higher values due to lower survival rates without respect to production nuances. A Smith Corona is typically worth more than 1903A3 rifles made by Remington. Winchester M1 Garands are worth more than Springfield Armorys. Irwin Pederson carbines are the most valueable. Any of the manufacturers product will serve well as shooters as they were all made ti mil specs.
BTW, the market is pretty soft now and there are great buys on the above models if you look around a little.

·
Registered
330 Posts
For Garands, the best source is the CMP -- Join the right club, meet the qualifying criteria, send in your paperwork and money.

IIRC, the AIM Surplus M1903s are drill-rifle rebuilds, which makes them about as collectible as Mitchell's Mausers (meaning: not collectible).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
become a member of the CMP forum, carbines and 03s come up for sale every so often, but haft to be on your game.. Bolt guns are going to be released in small #s by CMP end of summer.. If you want one you better be quick, this is expected to be the last large release ( I think we are talking around 1300 rifles).. Also keep your nose in the air and you can probably find what your looking for locally, I just picked up a nice rebuild smith corona 1903a3 for $550, and I am always looking, have money ready to buy... If you don't have money in hand the deals will pass you buy.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Be careful if you start purchasing from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. It can me addictive.
Here's a portion of my collection.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8STckFoVZZI[/ame]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Be careful if you start purchasing from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. It can me addictive.
Here's a portion of my collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8STckFoVZZI
Nice collection, but you didn't get all that from the CMP now did you?GI2

Buying a Garand from the CMP is definitely the best way to go. I just visited the South store and was amazed at the quality of some of the Garands. For the carbine and 03 you might be stuck with online auctions or gunshows. Good buys are there you just have to shop around and be patient.

Unless you are buying for collector resale value then the manufacturer does not matter as long as it was used by the military.

daveboy

·
Registered
585 Posts
I thought the IBM and Rock-Ola carbines were the rarest variations? No, I am certainly no expert.

- Ivan.
Rock-ola's and IBM's are down there, (S'G's too) but there were only around 1/2 as many IP's as the next lowest manufacturer. Tough to find and when you do, you'll end up paying $$ for them. IIRC, the last one the CMP auctioned went in the high 3K range though it's been a while

·
Registered
678 Posts
All came from the CMP except for the three on the far left.

Nice collection, but you didn't get all that from the CMP now did you?GI2

Buying a Garand from the CMP is definitely the best way to go. I just visited the South store and was amazed at the quality of some of the Garands. For the carbine and 03 you might be stuck with online auctions or gunshows. Good buys are there you just have to shop around and be patient.

Unless you are buying for collector resale value then the manufacturer does not matter as long as it was used by the military.

daveboy

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Garands:
Good barrel/receiver combo usually makes a good shooter. I have had good luck with HRA and SA. Winchester and IHC are harder to come by.

Carbine you just have to shoot to see what you have. I have one's with basically new barrels that don't shoot as well as MW~2 versions. I like the Rock-ola because thy are made by the juke box people and the Underwood because it's the typewriter folks. Irwin Pederson is the most rare.

Smith Corona or Remington 03a3 both will shoot great. SC is probably more collectible.

·
Super Moderator
12,078 Posts
Did H&R and IHC make M1 garands during WWII? I thought I read some where that they only made them during Korea.

Casey

HRA had a barrel contract durring Korea, there M1 rifle production started after the hostilities ended.(note technicly there still at war)

IHC started there production after it was all over as well, IHC had at the time what many people back in the day as well as today consider to be the best shooting barrels, LMR was the contractor. Rumer has it that many LMR tubes were pulled off working rifles and used as replacements in NM rifles, seems that SA didn't make enough barrels.

Also rumer has it that the Shaw of Iran also recieved a large amount of IHC M1's this would have been years before he was deposed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For Garands, the best source is the CMP -- Join the right club, meet the qualifying criteria, send in your paperwork and money.

IIRC, the AIM Surplus M1903s are drill-rifle rebuilds, which makes them about as collectible as Mitchell's Mausers (meaning: not collectible).
Check the M1 Garands of the list have already bought 3 of them from the CMP as well as about 40 can of ammo, a bayonet, sling and cleaning kits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.