M14 Forum banner

1903 drill receiver

1716 Views 24 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  jwmauser
Ok so I'm looking for opinions on this drill receiver. After removing the barrel it has a half circle crack that doesn't continue into the threads. Hoping someone with knowledge can tell me if it's safe to use. If not I may look at a 22lr conversion but the kits are hard to find.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
That receiver is a no go. Sorry.

· Registered
1,836 Posts
I'm going to have to strongly advise that you heed usmchistorian. There are multiple factors to consider here:

1. the weld is much longer than most I see and heavily biased into the receiver- too much heat in this critical area
2. Porosity in the weld area is clearly evident
3. There is a clearly visible crack that is perpendicular to the threads. That is going to continue and expand with the forces of threading the barrel, much less the pressures of firing.

That receiver needs to be permanently demilled and turned into a wall hanger. Sorry.

· Registered
263 Posts
I’d pass on it as high pressure rifle round type receiver.

22lr it might be just fine. I redid a low s/n drill rifle receiver and converted it into a 22lr gun but my receiver still was a lot nicer looking that what you have there.

To be on the safe side….pass on doing anything with it. For the other reason noting the crack etc…what will happen when you torque a barrel on to it? Evidently it’s brittle or at least in that area.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Numrich kit could be easily removed, then you’ve got an unsafe .30-06 rifle. If you insist on using it, install a .22LR barrel on it and make it a dedicated .22 rifle.
If I do it I will make it permanent, maybe epoxy it in. Also would consider installing a 22lr barrel if I can locate one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,964 Posts
I agree ,not for original build but for .22 trainer yes. I personally would machine out the threads so it couldn't ever be restored.
I probably would remove the stainless weld and remove cracks .
Dye check to make sure,then weld with ER70 the area removed.
Detail machine face and bore to accept a pinned custom made .22 blank.

Or just find a better action .they are plentiful.

· Forum Jester
9,466 Posts
your looking for 1922 springfield parts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts