M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a guy locally that has a barreled receiver for an 1897 and he's asking $40. I've thought about picking it up and putting it together with spare parts, but it sounds like it's pretty complicated. Being entirely uneducated on 1897s, how difficult of a project would that be? And are there good places for economical replacement parts? Just looking for an example, maybe a good trench gun conversion project, IDK.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If it were me, I'd buy it for $40, but mainly for possible spare parts for the '97 I already have.

If you're just looking for a fun project, this could be it. If you're looking at putting together a '97 on the cheap, the sum of all the parts will cost you more than just buying a complete '97.

I'm assuming it's a barreled action with no trigger, bolt assembly, etc?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
It all depends on just how much of a complete barrelled receiver you have and its overall condition as to whether or not it's worth the effort and expense involvled. If it's in decent shape and enough parts are there go for it and make it a long term project.

I have an 1897 WW1 Trench Gun as well as a .12 ga 97 full choke, with a modifed barrel assembly with fore end to go with it.

7th

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
yea, not sure about it.

taking one apart is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
taking one apart is not for the faint of heart.
You got that right. When I got mine from the pawn shop (about 1978 or 79) I sat down in the floor and took it apart. I thought I'd never get all those little pieces back together again.

I was about 21 then and hadn't taken a lot of guns apart. Maybe these days, with 35 years more experience, it would be easier for me, but I'm not taking mine apart again. Once is enough.

That was a solid frame gun, the type most of the riot guns and trench guns were made from. IF the barrel wasn't buggered up, I'd try it for a fun, long term project. I believe you could fix the crease in the receiver, but the barrel is toast.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some fool put the receiver in a three inch bench vise and took the barrel off with a pipe wrench. Looks like the work of my old shoemaker/gunsmith except he didn't stamp his name on both parts. Scrap metal $200 a ton.

By the way I am looking for a COMPLETE 97 take down receiver myself. I have a nice though reblued cylinder bore complete barrel assembly with heatshield/bayonet adapter and original Winchester 1917 bayonet.

Since that a$$ commie Cuomo put me out of the M14 business I am concentrating on some 50 year old unfinished Winchester projects. Found some guns and parts I didn't even know I had.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Another thing to remember is those old shotguns have a lot of hand fitted parts, just cause you can find parts for them does not mean they will work, or even can be made to work .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts