M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I found this gun, the stock was broken and flopping. Plus it had a lot of parts missing from all over the gun. It also was a, not so nice, shade of orange.
I did not attempt to remove the vise jaw imprints on the barrel, along with some pipe wrench marks.馃檧 Poor gun had a hard life! But after some time a managed to get this .25-36 Marlin back shape! If these rascals could talk, it would have a lot to say since built in 1901. I could not let it go to the junk pile!
Is 16" common for barrel length on these?
Hope ya liked it,
Hot Brass

Registered
Nice. Really nice.

It's always fun to save an old gun.

How hard is it to find ammo for that thing? It would a shame to fix it up like that and not try it out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ammo story goes like this. When I got this rascal I knew nothing about it. So logic has me call Marlin. They tell me ammo has not been made for 70yrs. I think darn,now what.
I'm looking around the Marlin collectors sight. Turns out guys are fire forming .25-35 Win. because of slight shoulder difference between the two. The .25-36 Marlin vs. .25-35 Winchester battle was won by Winchester. So I bought brass and by golly so far my light loads are fine, fun.

Banned
Nice old iron and wood.

Registered
Congrats! That is gorgeous! As for barrel length, 16" was not the norm for that, probably 18-24 would be more like it. But hey, 16" is very doable, you have a "trapper" now. Let us know how it shoots!
You can also buy 25-36 brass at Midway USA, it isn't cheap, but stock up and you'll be good to go for a long time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got piles of stuff I've done. Never thought about the "before". Now I do since my Wife and daughter got me an Ipad for Father's Day. I was told I should do that now.
No rangerdave not this one.

Registered
Great Job. I LOVE lever rifles, have done a save similar to yours on a 1897 Winchester 1886 that was beat to death. The fit and finish on old classics Like Marlin, Winchester Colt and Smiths would be considered "Custom" today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.