M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So currently my spare M1A has a full length barrel and I'm considering switching it to an 18". Now, should I get medium weight or normal profile? I use it mainly as a range toy.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
You say this is a spare rifle. Why not sell or trade it for a Scout? I think you'll be money ahead compared to the cost of installing a new barrel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I want a better quality barrel than the Springfield armory, and possibly a medium heavy barrel, so I'd be switching barrels regardless

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Criterion makes a nice medium weight 18.5 inch barrel. I did a group buy for Krieger heavy weight and medium weight barrels a while ago. We never got enough orders for the heavy contours but I did manage to get two made from old stock blanks the production manager had in his office. We did however sell 46 medium weight barrels some members purchased two. You can try putting a want to buy add up, you might get lucky. Before our group buy they had not done a production run on the 18.5 in 9 years. I was tossing around the idea of doing another Krieger group buy. That needs to be approved first. The only companies I can think of making 18.5 are criterion and a company in the southwest desert. If you need one quick check out LRB they typically stock 18.5 criterions made to there own specs. I'm not aware of anyone else making them. I'm sure other members will chime in. As far as the cost to rebarrel it's not that expensive. All your parts are already fitted to your receiver. The oh thing you would need done is has a new barrel screwed on and the headspace set up. If you go with a chrome lined barrel you could possibly run into headspace complications with your existing bolt. Might want to consider a non chrome lined barrel. Cost would be max a couple of hundred depending where you go. You can eliminate any possible headspace issues by choosing a short chambered barrel

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Well, I want a better quality barrel than the Springfield armory, and possibly a medium heavy barrel, so I'd be switching barrels regardless
Sorry Ragincajun, I missed the "medium heavy" part.

82nd, am I understanding you correctly, $200 to buy a barrel and have it properly installed?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I think he's saying a couple hundred for the install. 18/18.5 inch barrels are usually in the $250 to $350 range.

I say go for it. I did it and don't see myself going back. The only thing I'm not sure about is the profile. I got two of the Krieger 18.5" barrels from 82nd's group buy and they are heavy. In the future I may switch to a standard profile but I have yet to decide.

·
Registered
375 Posts
82nd ABN

I'd go for a 18.5" med-weight stainless Krieger or ?
Count me in on the group barrel buy!
I just posted about changing my loaded over to 18.5" barrel.
Dirty

·
Registered
424 Posts
Generally speaking, if you're going to be shooting surplus and lighter bullets from 147 grn 168grn but also want match accuracy from higher end rounds like Fed GMM168grn SMK, Criterion's reproduction Saco-Lowel medium weight national match barrel 1:12 twist, four groove would be a nice option. The medium wt won't heat up as fast and is very accurate for the price. Since it's unlined, you'll need to clean it right after shooting and keep a light coat of oil inside.

But if your pockets are a little deeper and you have a habit of waiting a few days after the range to clean your rifle, or live near an ocean or high humidity area, Criterion's 18 1/2" chrome moly, medium weight DMR contour CHROME LINED, 1:11 twist, 4 groove is your "sport utility" shoot everything barrel and is more corrosion resistant. However, and some will disagree with me, chrome lined barrels are not as accurate at LONGER RANGES, 500 yards and out, than unlined barrels. SEI sells their Crazy Horse sniper barrel with a chrome lined option, which then downgrades long range accuracy to what they call on their website "Battlefield accurate" which they use for the NSWC Crane-built MK14Mod O rifle.

Cons: The medium wt barrel makes your rifle front heavy.
Pros: Doesn’t heat up as quickly, thus retains accuracy better.
I found on the chronograph when measuring bullet fps, as my barrel got hotter, the speed of my bullet dropped, thus affecting point of impact on the target.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
So currently my spare M1A has a full length barrel and I'm considering switching it to an 18". Now, should I get medium weight or normal profile? I use it mainly as a range toy.
I suggest to get the the medium weight no questions ask.......but if need to know.........revert back to post #8.GI2

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've got one of the group buy medium-heavy contour Krieger barrels on an LRB build and have no regrets about it. Most of the added weight is right in front of the receiver, and the effect on balance doesn't bother me at all. It is very noticeably heavier than my SAI Scout.

One thing to consider is whether or not you ever want to try a forward optic mount on the rifle. Since you said it's mainly a "range toy", I assume you'd want a scope mounted over the receiver. However, it's worth mentioning that both the SAI forward mount and the Ultimak rail mount only go on normal contour barrels. IOW they attach right where the medium-heavy barrel is fatter than the standard contour.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sarah Conner,

This is quoted straight from SEI's website:

"We are now producing a chromelined 18.0” standard profile, 1:10 ROT M14 barrel for use in extremely harsh environments. What makes this unique barrel truly significant is the fact that although it is chrome-lined, the new 18.0” barrel is chambered for M118LR ammunition, thus making a weapon using this barrel capable of employing any known 7.62mm NATO ammunition type– with exceptional battlefield accuracy. For weapons such as the NSWC Crane-built MK14 Mod O rifle, this barrel is ideal. The Smith Enterprise, Inc MK14SEI version of this rifle employs this chrome-lined M118LR barrel configuration as an option to the standard 22.0” or 18” chrome moly “Crazy Horse” sniper-grade barrels. (which are unlined).

...The accuracy penalty in using our precision chrome-lined barrel as opposed to our Crazy Horse barrel is insignificant in real world battlefield conditions except at extremely long ranges where absolute accuracy (0.5-0.75 MOA) might be required."

·
Banned
253 Posts
Understood, but you will find that these unique chrome lined barrels are so unique that they are not and have not been available for quite some time.
They do offer CRYO and M80HT, whatever that is...

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
They do offer CRYO and M80HT, whatever that is...
Cryo is where the barrel is frozen to stress relieve it which increases cold to hot barrel shot accuracy/consistency.

M80HT is their fancy term for Melonite treatment. It's a treatment that brings carbon to the surface making metal (including stainless steel) have a black finish as well as increasing the surface hardness. The process involves dipping the parts into a hot salt bath (temperature dependent on desired results, some reaching 1200 degrees F). The carbon surface is also more corrosion resistant and very slick having a semi-self lubricating effect.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks No Expert, I always wondered what melonite was but never bothered to look it up. The lack of cryo on my M80HT Crazy Horse barrel may explain why my fps slows as the barrel heats up. I would be interested to see on a Krieger barrel if the bullet fps would hold more consistently when hot under a chrono.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
im not sure why someone would want a heavy barrel that is chrome lined. it kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Cryo is where the barrel is frozen to stress relieve it which increases cold to hot barrel shot accuracy/consistency.

M80HT is their fancy term for Melonite treatment. It's a treatment that brings carbon to the surface making metal (including stainless steel) have a black finish as well as increasing the surface hardness. The process involves dipping the parts into a hot salt bath (temperature dependent on desired results, some reaching 1200 degrees F). The carbon surface is also more corrosion resistant and very slick having a semi-self lubricating effect.
Thank you for that information.

What's the back story with your signature picture?

·
Registered
249 Posts
im not sure why someone would want a heavy barrel that is chrome lined. it kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me.
For me, I wanted a heavy-er barrel (in this case, modified medium) so that POI would not shift too much as the barrel heated up. The chrome will also help when the throat gets real hot (if i ever wanted to shoot a lot in succession) in preventing accelerated barrel wear.

·
Registered
424 Posts
August, the scout barrel starts as a M21A5/M14SE Medium Heavy Barrel, 22.0” OAL, chrome-moly, unlined, 1:10 ROT, and is shortened to 18.5" for an extra charge. It's probably SEI's most expensive barrel because of the additional steps. It's marked NM on the upper portion of the barrel. I have one and really like it's performance. They are kind of hard to get a hold of and the timing has to be right when you order.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts