M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have done alot of research on this, and although there is alot of information dealing with similar questions, I haven't been able to find a direct answer.

I am building a new semi M14 with 18.5" WMMW barrel. I have a SEI match rear sight. I will be using the SEI Good Iron Muzzle Brake (it is dovetailed for sight). I will NOT be putting a can on this rifle so I do not care that this muzzle brake will not accept one (this one is NOT the DC version but has the castle nut).

I THINK that with my 18.5" barrel I will need a TALL front sight to attach to the dovetail on my muzzle brake. Aside from using a granade launcher sight, I believe the only other option is to buy the tall Scout front sight from SAI.

I was thinking about getting the SEI GLFS-D-18 and putting a standard USGI front sight on it (the dovetail of the muzzle brake would just be hanging out in space).

Has anyone else done this? I realize it will shorten my sight radius by a few inches, add cost, and that I will have 2 sight dovetails on my rifle with only one being used. I kind of want to stay away from anything SAI, even sights.

Thanks for any advice or pictures or both that you can provide!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
No the scout front sight is a standard front height front sight. It was the 16" ones that had a different height front sight. I had a NM blade on the front of mine in fact.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
No the scout front sight is a standard front height front sight. It was the 16" ones that had a different height front sight. I had a NM blade on the front of mine in fact.
The Scout sight is taller, there are two blade diameter sizes, standard .072" and NM .064"
Here are some pictures comparing a Standard, Scout and a M79 front sight.

Hopefully some one with the SEI GLSF-D-18 will chime in for you.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Yep,
an 18.5" barreled shortified M14 quite often needs a taller front sight ...
but not always.

Some times everything works out so that standard M14 sights works perfectly.

Some times you might need to take a bit off the back of the rear sight leg,
to allow it to go down enough for a proper zero.

And some times you really need that taller front sight.

I don't personally like gas ring front sights, so mount my front sight as close to the muzzle as I can. Here are a few options to consider:

For more info on shortifying an M14, taker a look at,
http://www.members.shaw.ca/lazerus2000/m14.htm

good luck with your project,
LAZ 1
[;)

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
SEI machined off the dovetail on the USCG brake I had a long time ago since I wasn't running any sights. You could probably have it done and reparkerized pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I was thinking about getting the SEI GLFS-D-18 and putting a standard USGI front sight on it (the dovetail of the muzzle brake would just be hanging out in space).

Has anyone else done this? I realize it will shorten my sight radius by a few inches, add cost, and that I will have 2 sight dovetails on my rifle with only one being used. I kind of want to stay away from anything SAI, even sights.
Yes, here are two pics of my SAI Scout with the SEI GLFS-D-18:

I wish I had a close up so you can see it but I don't just yet. I like this set up because it is much easier to find a normal height front sight and there are many many more choices in blade thickness/type than for the tall Scout only sight. I set it up this way so I could put a suppressor on it some day. As you can see in the second pic, I still have the SAI muzzle brake on the rifle; still saving my $$$

Here is a link to SEI pics showing their GLFS heights:

http://www.smithenterprise.com/spec/GLFS_Retail.03.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, here are two pics of my SAI Scout with the SEI GLFS-D-18:

I wish I had a close up so you can see it but I don't just yet. I like this set up because it is much easier to find a normal height front sight and there are many many more choices in blade thickness/type than for the tall Scout only sight. I set it up this way so I could put a suppressor on it some day. As you can see in the second pic, I still have the SAI muzzle brake on the rifle; still saving my $$$

Here is a link to SEI pics showing their GLFS heights:

http://www.smithenterprise.com/spec/GLFS_Retail.03.pdf
New here.

One comment, Looks so cool! The 18.5 Brl; Length. Any real noticeable difference in accuracy (Benched)

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Scouse, they are "cool" weapons; at least I think so. I do not have a full length gun to compare the accuracy to, but I have plenty of friends who do and from my experience, the accuracy potential is the same between the Scout and the long gun. I have never shot a Socom but from reading posts on this forum, my impression is that they are more of a challenge to make shoot as well as a Scout or long gun.

The picture my Scout above is with the SAI factory walnut stock which is really a bit over-sized, at least this one is. I bought a USGI stock from the CMP and that is when I really noticed just how over-sized the SAI stock is. One of my local friends, who has been into M1As for years, asked me if it was a NM stock; I have no idea. Sometime in the next few months my plan is to refinish the CMP stock, mod it with the cheek riser and Grove Tech flush cups, and put my Scout in it.

Here is a link to a post describing how I installed the flush cups which allow me to use a sling in several different configurations.

http://m14forum.com/gunsmithing/104372-grovtec-flush-swivel-cups-rock.html

Welcome to the forum and hold on to your wallet with both hands!

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you don't get the GLFS, My recommendation is to call Springfield Armory Inc. and purchase a scout squad rifle front sight.

They should normally be national match width, but if they give you a choice be sure to request the .62" national match width sight.

Because the front sight is closer to your eye, a regular width front sight will seem huge and covers way too much of the target on an 18" rifle. It's like having a snickers bar up there! A .62" is a must in my opinion, unless you don't plan on ever shooting more than 100 yards or so.

I do actually recommend getting a GLFS-D18 from SEI; it's what I run on my rifles and really opens up your available front sight options along with shortening the overall length of the rifle by an inch or so when combined with a direct connect muzzle device. Then you can just buy a regular national match front sight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I do believe I will be going with the GLFS-D18 and a standard height NM front sight. The dovetail on the muzzle brake will just be there.
USNA

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the exact set up your talking about - 18 in barrel with good iron muzzle break - it was built up by SEI for me and I discussed the sight a bit with them - we ended up using an Springfield Armory tall sight on the dove tail - but if i remember correctly it was a USGI tall sight - either way it works great and you don't have the empty dove tail sitting there - give SEI a call and I'm sure they can help you out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
LRB put a standard front sight on mine because I didn't specify; I replaced it later with a NM because it was too thick. I'm sure they'll put a .62 NM front sight on yours if you specify that you want it in the build.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Awhile back I purchased a early 90's stock Bush Rifle with USGI FS on it. It had the standard rear sights and a 0.62 NM front sight. I wanted to lighten and shorten the OAL of the rifle and decided that a SEI USCG muzzle Break was in order to cut recoil. Installed the USCG MB and took the 0.62 off the original FS. Other than centering the front sight for windage, very minor elevation change needed. And yes the thinner front sight(0.62) is the way to go. dozier

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.