M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there only seems to be SAI that has a 16" barrel, what about taking a 18.5" better quality barrel and having a smith cut it, recrown it, and then rethread the end for the flash suppressor/ compensator?? Just a thought, but then how much do you think it would cost to have this done??

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You would also have to redrill or at least match the gas port up for the shorter barrel.

I have a Socom16, I don't see anything wrong with the SAI barrel to begin with... GI2

·
Registered
509 Posts
Since there only seems to be SAI that has a 16" barrel, what about taking a 18.5" better quality barrel and having a smith cut it, recrown it, and then rethread the end for the flash suppressor/ compensator?? Just a thought, but then how much do you think it would cost to have this done??
sei is making top shelf 16" barrels now. check em out

You would also have to redrill or at least match the gas port up for the shorter barrel.

I have a Socom16, I don't see anything wrong with the SAI barrel to begin with... GI2
the gas port is in the same location for all barrel lengths. the port will need adjusting though

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
the gas port is in the same location for all barrel lengths. the port will need adjusting though
Yes, the port is larger. I didn't know if it was in the exact same location because of the different gas cylinder utilized in the Socom series, but that makes sense.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, the port is larger. I didn't know if it was in the exact same location because of the different gas cylinder utilized in the Socom series, but that makes sense.
yea, even the gc is the same which is what makes the m14 type rifle so great.interchangeable parts.
the gas lock is the special part. there was alot of misinformation about special gas parts when the socom was first released.

i forgot the spec difference between the sai and sei 16" barrels but you can guess which one will shoot better and last longer. hopefully it's interchangable with sai receivers. there were fitment issues with the crazy horse barrels because sai receivers aren't true spec.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
yea, even the gc is the same which is what makes the m14 type rifle so great.interchangeable parts.
the gas lock is the special part. there was alot of misinformation about special gas parts when the socom was first released.
Thanks for clearing that up... I didn't know that!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'm building a "shorty" with a socom barrel. I got lucky on a GL/FS but I haven't found a gas plug yet. What would I do to a standard plug to make it work well with the socom setup or is it just a different animal?

Back to the OP question about cutting a standard barrel down. The socom GL/FS uses a finer pitch thread than a standard. You might get by by retheading over existing threads but it would look funky and be kinda sketchy IMO. I think the diameter is about the same. You could make an adaptor. There may be one out there. I don't think the one that is made for socom owners to put standard FS on would work. If you were going to have a gunsmith do this for you would you just take a barrel to him or would he have to remove the barrel and reinstall.

This brings up another question. Are these threads timed to the barrel? It seems like they would have to be but I have never done this type of threading. At any rate a gunsmith or a machinist would need details or a sample to go by. It seems like if you payed shop rate for this work it would be cheaper to find one either new or used.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes please tell about the SEI 16" barrels. Is this just something heard thru the grapevine or what. I would like a barrel that would last a little longer is the most important thing. But it is sounding like the SAI one is the best deal of all, even for the long run.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
You have to call SEI for details. They just started making them, I think there was 500 requested by the army. H2O MAN just got one for a build he's doing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts