M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the M1A, I have a Sadlack grooved piston so I can load up a little, using Win and Fed commercial cases, what powder will push them the fastest? So far I have seen Ramshot TAC as the fastest. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
What do you consider fast?

You can push them pretty close to 2900 fps out of a 22" barrel with the right powder but the problem would be the port pressure. Keeping the port pressure down to recommended limits would limit the muzzle velocity to no more than 2800 fps. You can push a 155 grain bullet up to that speed with TAC but the port pressure will be higher than I'd recommend. On the other hand, you could hit 2800 fps with the port pressure being right at the top limit with H322. My favorite powder is IMR 3031 but I can't push the muzzle velocity to more than about 2700 fps while still keeping the port pressure within safe limits. And no, that grooved piston wont help push the port pressure limits.

Reactions: LoB

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
4064 and 155s works fine too. Most people who shoot palma are using temp stable powders like that, varget, or H4895. 22" barrel kind of limits their usefulness though since you really need 26-30" of barrel to make them sing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
500 meter ram buster, I have some on hand and wanted to try them out. My normal load is 4064 and 175's
I assume you're talking silhouettes? Just work up an accurate load, don't worry too much about the extra velocity, it shouldn't make that much difference in retained energy. I can knock down steel pigs with 155 Palmas at 300 yards with a 300 Blackout, and that's in a 16" barrel and using 15 grains of powder (Win 296) giving a MV of about 1700 fps. You should have a lot more energy at 500 yards with most any decent .308 load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.