M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My personal experience with A-Max projectiles of any flavor has largely been underwhelming. However, with ongoing shortages I did come across some 155 A-Max when nothing else was available, so I bought them. (january 2021 timeframe). A test load shot from bags and my 4X service rifle scope showed that they actually shot pretty well with 42.5gr of Varget so I set them aside to use if necessary.

Fast forward to this week: Varget stash is low. CCI 34 stash is low. Preferred short line practice ammo is low.... so I loaded a batch of the A-Max with 44.0 BLC2 and 215M primers. I'm back to irons now on this rifle. It was 104F on the firing line with a fairly steady 5mph breeze from directly behind me that was making my eyes dry out fast, but I was pleased with the results. Prone from 200 with a sling. The two lowest shots were right at the end of my string and I was struggling to keep the post in focus. The pasters covered my first 5 shots. corrected 1/4min left and then shot 10.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of these if I come across them. Of course...they don't make them any more as near as I can tell.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
That’s some good shooting. I recall some articles with the 155 A-MAX w/ Varget in the 30-06 as an accurate load, but I have not tested them in an M1A. Anyhow, nice results especially given the conditions described.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allen, I’ve had great results with the 75&80 amax. Thanks for the info on the 155 as I have a few. May have to try them
I ran the 75's for a couple seasons but found them sensitive to concentricity. That was a real problem at first until I got a seating stem that actually fit them properly. In the end, 77 TMKs just seemed more consistent for me. Probably just a "me" thing. Never tried the 80's. In all fairness to the A-Max, I got my first 14 leg points with them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I ran the 75's for a couple seasons but found them sensitive to concentricity. That was a real problem at first until I got a seating stem that actually fit them properly. In the end, 77 TMKs just seemed more consistent for me. Probably just a "me" thing. Never tried the 80's. In all fairness to the A-Max, I got my first 14 leg points with them.
Congratulations on the DRB! That’s fairly new or am I repeating myself.
Hornady gets a bad rap, I’ve blown them all up, a lot depends on barrel conditions. Pretty much all match bullets do pretty good if you find what works for “Me”. I understand completely the “me “ thing. It gets in your head and it has to change or “we” dwell on it lol.

·
Registered
235 Posts
They shoot well from my Garand. My sons preferred choice for his 308 RPR are the heavier ones. 168 (?)

·
Premium Member
8,231 Posts
I loved and shot them on the early Dot games here with thrown 41gr H4895 but could never find them for sale in bulk so switched to the Speer 125gr TNT's

Reactions: Allen Humphrey

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I shot them for a season. They shot well enough, but I never saw the really tight little wads I’d get with the SMK’s.

Edit: I’d still shoot them again if I got a decent deal on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts