M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello M14 forum members. Thanks for your time. So I took the bait on the PSA special Kryptek Highlander SOCOM 16 @ $1199 on May 1st. I actually like the color and I'm probably the only one who does! I have done alot of reading and you all have been very open and informative about this platform. You are all right about this rifle being a rabbit hole. I am starting to realize just a how deep this rabbit's hole goes. Thus far I've invested close to 4k including the rifle but I still want more! The rifle gets out of jail in 9 business days.

Any thoughts on Australian Outback Ammunition (AOB)? I believe its repackaged Australian Defense Industry (ADI) ammunition. The reviews are great but few. So helping me get to my grand total I purchased 800rds of AOB 145gr F4 M80 ball, 200rds of AOB 150gr Swift Scirocco ll BTS, 120 rds of AOB 165gr Sierra SBT GameKing SP, 160rds of FED 150gr XM80CL, 80rds of FED 149gr XM80C, 20rds of FED GMM 165gr SMK.

I also grabbed up 3x S.S. Checkmate 20rd'ers, 7x SAI 20rd'ers ( 2 were free along with that 4th Gen SAI AL Scope Mount), 1x ProMag 20rd'er, 1x X-Product X14 MSK Black 50rd Drum, 1x SIG Romeo MSR, 1x Aimpoint T1 Low Mount, 1x Magpul Rifle Bipod Blk, 1x VLTOR QDM-14 (Should have bought the Sadlak mount), 1x Magpul Rifle Sling Coyote, 1x SAI Cleaning Kit, 1x FM 23-8 and1x Hawkeye Custom .080 Cheek Riser.

I know I forgot some important items but the only thing I already want to replace is the Romeo MSR but that's why I bought it. Cheap and reliable until I ping the direction I want to go plus I need to save for my Blackfeather RS/ LPVO combo.

My skin is pretty thick so point out what I missed and what you feel I wasted time with. Thank you all and have a nice day!

RLTW!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Awesome. Welcome aboard!

Reactions: GLD1980

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert

·
Administrator
17,394 Posts
Now you have made a good decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you can post often GLD1980.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,429 Posts
Welcome in, I'm guessing you are also in the People's Republik of Commiefornia with a 10 day wait. GITEN

The Socom is a fun gun but is not usually the most accurate, it might require some handloading to achieve good results if you are looking for accuracy or longer range. It is generally a backup/shtf/3 gun type weapon. If you are looking for reloading info for accuracy check out RAMMAC's posts on it.

m14brian

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome from another new member in nor cal. There is a wealth of information here. The socom seems to benefit greatly from better sights, good ammo, a better stock and a better muzzle device. These are a ton of fun. Your first probably won’t be your last!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the welcome and great advice. I'm currently close to CA up in WA, plagued by I-1639 and some ass backwards gun legislation. I have been fortunate, receiving great advice from the M14.CA Blackfeather RS importer, H20MAN. I reached out to him based off of many of yours and others reviews of the Blackfeather RS Chassis. My coin will be headed his way for a sweet Blackfeather chassis. I just need to figure out if this SOCOM or my next M1A will get one. I've also read several RAMMAC posts and subscribed to several "Fix It" style posts here for future reference. I can't wait to get at it. Thanks again for the positive mentoring. By the way, does anyone have any experience with the Aussie Ammo I listed above?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts