M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I wanted to try out a range of different ammo for my M1A (LRB NM, medium weight, 1:10 twist, chrome moly, parkerized barrel).

I was looking at some Federal Premium 125gr TRU, Fiocchi 150gr FMJ, and Federal Premium 175gr BTHP rounds. Can anyone tell me what results I should expect with these different rounds out of my rifle at 100 yards (with respect to the grainage and barrel twist)?

I've tried Federal Premium 168gr BTHP already (it performs great), but I wanted to try out some different ammo that may perform better than the 168gr.

Thanks, and stay safe and healthy!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
To your specific questions about the grains and twist: They are all compatible with the 1:10. At various points I have seen reports of very good precision with all of the bullet weights you mentioned. 168's and 175's are a lot of bullet for 100 yards.

The more years I mess with rifle accuracy the more I'm convinced that all rifles (even within the same make and model) are individuals and you have to experiment to find the best results. Not to say that there are not some generalizations that apply.

Also, your intentions tend to matter a lot. If you are just smacking steel, then the ammo you suggest will probably all meet the need. However, if precision target work is your aim, more testing is a must. I agree with KurtC's comments.

Additionally, individual shooters physical makeup matters too. If you are recoil sensitive, then full house 175's probably will not ever shoot as well as a lighter load.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts