M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Hornady stopped production on this ammo. I checked 4 different stores online and they all were out of stock. No store around me has any. Just wondering if y'all had see any around where y'all live?

·
Registered
131 Posts
They suspended production of the whole 308 TAP line according to their website:

"One area that we have identified that will enable us to increase production, is the minimization of machinery downtime. The largest period of downtime our machines experience is during change over and retooling to convert a machine from manufacturing one bullet or cartridge to another. Under normal market conditions, we can keep the supply chain full by making popular items on a regular basis and keeping specialty or less-used products on a seasonal basis. However, with demand at record levels, it has become difficult to justify shutting down a machine to change it over to produce a product of less demand. Therefore, we are temporarily suspending some items in order to focus our efforts on the most popular and highest demand products* and ship more total product. "

http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=249&categoryid[]=256&categoryid[]=297&categoryid[]=336&x=34&y=12

·
Registered
1 Posts
So about a year ago I was able to acquire 600rds of LE only 110gr TAP ammo and have had a couple mags loaded in my safe for if SHTF scenario. Then recently there has been some posts, largely because of the G&A TV weenies jamming up an SAI M1A after dragging it through mud having cycling issues, questioning reliability with the small bullet.
http://www.launch-x431-diagun.com/

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have been looking for them too without success . I wanted to try them out on yotes in the allegany forest, killing to many deer. Dan

·
Registered
502 Posts
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

There you go, scroll towards the bottom when hes talking about the rifle ammo and you'll see the TAP.
Personally id never use 110 TAP, I do have some 168gr TAP but my rifle is loaded with LE TAP 165gr Barrier blind.

Looks like 110gr TAP only has 10in penetration. Not that great unless your going after headshots. I mean dont get me wrong it does what its made for, low penetration, but Id rather be safe and use the 155/168 gr tap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, Dsc that's what I wanted them for. I bet they would mess up a yote.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hornady only discontinued the TAP ammo during the "ammo crunch" since it's sort of a niche ammo. They plan to restart when the crunch slows a little and they expand their capacity.

As far as the 110Gr TAP. Hornady tried to convince the LE establishment that it was the best sniper round available because of velocity and very flat trajectory. Cops didn't buy that no matter how much data they were shown. It's doubtful if Hornady will make the 110 again when they restart TAP production.

I'm glad I bought about 600 rds while I could still get it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I shot a bunch of it at Hornady's scoped rifle school in Hastings NE a while back. It did shoot very well. The results on ballistic gelatin was amazing with the 110's.
Out of the three offerings in 308 TAP, I found the 155gr TAP shot the best from my custom 308.

Its easy to hand load an equivalent 110gr V-Max for your needs, cheaper too. Just an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts