M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I am going to load some 110 gr Amax for my M1A.

I usually load using the Service rifle data available in the Hornady manual, they do not publish anything for 110gr so I am going to have to use the .308 regular data.

Anyone loading this with good results? What powder and how much are you using?

I would like to find data using AA2520, H4895, H380, or Varget.

What is you C.O.L. for this load? Not book but what has worked for you.DI5

Thanks Guys for the info!dance2

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I just loaded some for my bolt action this weekend but haven't had the chance to shoot them yet. I loaded three different loads using IMR 4895. I am hoping one of those turns out to be a nice round that I can use to varmint hunt with this winter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Range Report

Ok so I loaded 5 rounds to try at the range. New IVI Grass CCI no 200 primer 49gr H380 110gr Vmax C.O.L. 2.8 crimped with lee factory crimp die. results were not great but something to work with. this is the starting load in the Lyman manual and using mill spec brass was a compressed load. I had no signs of pressure but will probably try a different powder that does not need to be compresed. I would hit and kill a coyote so it is a good start. I will keep you posted as to any other 110 grain bullet loads I try. DI5

this is out of my M1A loaded that has been acurized... also using a scope at 100yd.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I don't have any experience with the hornady V-Max, but I've used 110gr HP Sierras with IMR 4895 and have gotten great results to 100 meters. Light recoil and tight groups.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Load data

Swamp rat, how much IMR 4895 behind those 110 bluets.dance2

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Arty,

48.2 is what I load to. It's not danger close but thats the limit before the powder charge gets into the neck and is compressed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've heard H380 is temperature sensitive. Maybe the cold weather got the best of ya and led to the stringing? Guess it depends how fast you were shooting.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Arty-Use the load data in the Hornady manual. Start at the bottom and work your way up. I've been finding high pressures in my loads from their data before getting to the higher velocities.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Arty-Use the load data in the Hornady manual. Start at the bottom and work your way up. I've been finding high pressures in my loads from their data before getting to the higher velocities.
I loaded some in the 48+ grain range, which is slightly above the middle of the listings they have for IMR 4895 and found that it was getting very close to being a compressed load in some of my commercial Winchester Brass. They heavier loads published above what I load and it was 2-3 loadings below the max level.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I loaded some in the 48+ grain range, which is slightly above the middle of the listings they have for IMR 4895 and found that it was getting very close to being a compressed load in some of my commercial Winchester Brass. They heavier loads published above what I load and it was 2-3 loadings below the max level.
Is that for Hornady or Sierra?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts