M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Im not well versed in antique turn of the century pump rifles w/octagon bbls Ive seen a winnie pump w/octagon bbl in my youth but have forgotten the model #.
Im not sure if this is even an appropriate forum for the questions.
Anyway the gun is in very good /;excellent even for a 40's-5o's
rifle except the riflings shot from corrosive ammo.Its a marlin model 27s takedown feature like Ive heard of in turn of the century practice the family would travel out on picnic and plink with a takedown rifle via horse and buggyThe wood and bluing are still in amazing condition I can only envision it had a case at one time that prevented dings and bluing wear.Ther is bluing wear at the action areas that rubbed and thers a small mar on the grooved forearm as well as a small ding on the buttstock the
curved buttplate is unworn w/o evidence of having rested on the buttplate?!Overall OT rifling its in amazing condition!
Problem is its in an absolutely unavailable cartridge(.25 RF) I understand it was stopped manufacture in the 40's.However I was looking in numrich arms cataloge and lo and behold they had complete bolts for the 25and 32-20 CF.the only difference could discern between the bolts is the .25RF's FP is obviously dessigned differently and the hole for the centerfire FP is marked but not machined.Im not aware of any other differences such as cartridge handling to the breech and diameter of the
tubular mag.Its collector value is minimal I believe in the nieghborhood of $300.IF,a CF bolt in 25/20 could be fitted and bbl relined It would make a fascinating small game gun for jackrabbits,coyotes assuming you could get em in close enough
and of course cowbot shoots.As it sits now its a beautiful and very interesting conversation piece with limited collector value?!
\But as a possible shooter it would be worth 2x that in enjoyment.
I sure would appreciate any info on conversions or history of the rifle.Theres no external #SN's I can tell only patent dates of
Pat.Aug 12 1890,mar 11 92,june 8 97,nov28 04.

Wish I could post a pic I may be able to soon .It is a classic buggy rifle My friend would love to be able to shoot!GI6

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply friend.Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
544 Posts
For ammo, i think its orginal go to www.joesalter.com He also offers the older remington rolling block RF rifles too. I 've collected many of the older 22cal turn of the century single shot and pump rifles for my 1yo grandson to shoot someday just incase i pass on by then he'll have all the guns he will need to shoot/hunt with. Joes prices are higher but the guns conditions are a true rating we pay for what we get with him. I got some older 22 revolvers from him too. Don't tell too many about this awesome honey hole for guns. Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts