M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any such thing as a USGI 10 round magazine for the carbine? On ebay there are all kinds of 10 rounders and no 15s. Is this just typical of folks on ebay not having any idea what they are selling or are they afraid to advertise any mag above 10 rounds?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would image e-bay's policy excludes the sale of magazines with a capacity of over ten rounds since their operation is in Kalifornia, and under the Kalifornia AWB law, it is illegal to import, sell, give, trade, or lend a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
im sure alot fo whats being sold are 15rnd magazines, but as for issue magazines there were 15's, and later 30's. 10rnd mags are aftermarket. as for ebay/paypal, they are evil and antigun, i refuse to use either of them.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I have seen what appear to be 30 round M1 carbine magazines listed as 10 round magazines on e-bay. Guys are getting around the B.S. e-bay magazine policy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My understanding is that the Carbine was developed with 10 rd mags. For whatever reason these became 15 rd mags upon adoption.
If you ever found one of the orig mags it would be worth a small fortune to Carbine collectors.
Sarge

·
Registered
977 Posts
My understanding is that the Carbine was developed with 10 rd mags. For whatever reason these became 15 rd mags upon adoption.
If you ever found one of the orig mags it would be worth a small fortune to Carbine collectors.
Sarge
That would surprise me since if it was developed for a 10 rounder, why can't anyone on earth make a decent aftermarket 10 rounder? Seriously, I have never found a decent one that won't kick out 2 rounds and try to stove pipe my action. This is particularly annoying during a timed shoot and I can't imagine it was very helpful in combat.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,712 Posts
It should not be too hard to modify a 15 rounder to only accept ten rounds, would that be legal? I read some where about somebody putting a rivet in a AR mag to stop the follower and supposedly that was legal. I will dig a 15 rounder out and look in to it.

Casey

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone is selling them

It should not be too hard to modify a 15 rounder to only accept ten rounds, would that be legal? I read some where about somebody putting a rivet in a AR mag to stop the follower and supposedly that was legal. I will dig a 15 rounder out and look in to it.

Casey
Drill and tap the bottom of the mag screw in the proper length machine screw and tack weld the screw head and bottom plate.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Pro mag does make a 10rder for the M1 Carbine. If you get that you might luck out and it will function. Saw a little blurb and pic in a recent American Rifleman Magazine about a prototype 20rd mag for the M1 carbine.
Colt had blocked some of their 20rd AR mags (to 5 or 10rds? ) for the sporters. I took one apart quite awhiles back. It has a U shaped block that stopped the follower from going down any further. To keep it all in place, the floorplate and the bottom of the U shaped block was drilled and then pop riveted. I used the same design to make and block my Para Ordnance mags to hold 10 1/2rds. - (mag won't seat in the gun if its blocked to 10rds) - Hawaii had 10rd limit put in place in '92 before there were any 10rders available.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe magblock.com has limiters to reduce cap to ten. Another option ( which is what my brother did is use a punch on the mag body to dent it at such a level the follower can not go further than it needs to accept ten.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seen this on ebay… BOTH 15 & 30 rounders being sold as 10s… either they just don't know or they do know & feel its ok to sell to state with a hi cap ban…..

10 rounders were never made for military as far as i know & are reproduced

always look for 2 digit stampings on back side i think

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, they are available. Just bought 3 of them for thirty bux through e-bay, but there is no manufacturer's info on them at all.

They didn't perform very well until I took a dremel and de-burred / smoothed out the rough / sharp inside of the feed lips a tad and now they feed flawlessly. They also appeared to have springs designed for a 15 round mag and were way too tight, forcing a "modification" of the springs to make the tension more realistic.

But do beware that 90% of the claimed 10 round mags are indeed a larger capacity mag, advertised as 10 round to skirt e-bays 10 round restriction. If you live in a capacity restricted state, that may get you in some hot water if discovered.

My Winchester 30 Carbine. SN: 1,310,***. Yeah, she's an oldie and a beauty, 100% GI (just like my SA M1 Garand, SN: 1,782,***). No, that's not one of the 10 round mags.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So I wonder what we are supposed to do then? I've taken the line of just shutting up and not broadcasting to the world what's going on in the case this is not legal. Some things are better off left unsaid.

Either way as a consumer, if I purchase a magazine that is claimed to hold 10 rounds, how is it my fault if it holds 11? If I never try to load 11 rounds into it, how am I supposed to know it holds more than 10 rounds? I certainly don't try to cram 31 rounds into my 30 round pmags. I just take their word on it only holds 30 rounds. I assume my 20 round m14 mag holds 20 rounds. Thats why I don't try to load more than 20. That is true for every magazine I have.

Either way, this could get interesting if someone is arrested or charged for buying "high capacity" magazines when these are being sold as 10 round magazines.

But since I do live in a non-2A friendly state, I'm always looking for functional 10 round magazines for my carbine. They are nearly impossible to find... except for on ebay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts