M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
His attitude is, if you have any irresponsible person in your home, castrate yourself so that person doesn't do something stupid. I'm not going to place myself in jeopardy from criminals, which I cannot control, by getting rid of my guns, which I do control. His argument is specious, his reasoning is flawed, and his attitude is UnAmerican.

·
Eye Master
4,162 Posts
He makes a good point that you want to make sure guns do not get in the hands of people who should not have them, however the flaw in his argument is that the only way to do that is to remove them from the house. There are gun safes that are also effective.

The one about a gun in the closet that you never practice with is pure BS. My Dad has had a pistol in his bedroom closet for the past 50 years. He has never used it, and does not practice (last time we shot it was a function check 10 years ago), but he did shoot on the 5th Army rifle team when he was in the service, so I have every reason to believe he is competent to use a firearm, and is just fine as a responsible gun owner.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The glaring fallacy in this argument is that the absence of a firearm somehow makes a bad kid good, suicidal person non-suicidal, or violent spouse non-violent. Instead of addressing the root cause of each problem the author instead chooses to take the all too often-employed liberal tactic of assigning blame to an inanimate object. If your spouse is violent then your problem is bigger than just trying to remove implements which they may use to harm you. While you are busy hiding the gun they will be stabbing you with a steak knife.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just curious - do you seek out such articles/blogs? I wouldn't even waste my time reading if it was pointed out.
I read what i can about peoples opinions on where they stand. I try to keep an open mind about what is going on around me. Gun rights? I believe the gov't has no right other than to limit me from buying a 105mm howitzerRNGR1RNGR1<---why do i need one anyways!? but to answer your question...Yes i do seek out such articles/blogs. No one says these people are right about everything they type.

This is an example of a person in the US(assuming he is American) is exercising his/her right to free speech and expression. These are simply situations the author believes are unsafe to have loaded firearms in the home.\

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Just curious - do you seek out such articles/blogs? I wouldn't even waste my time reading if it was pointed out.
I wasn't going to read the post. I've heard this all before. I guess that comes with the grey hair.
I think the poster is trying to be pragmatic about specific situations that could lead to a disaster. The problem I see with this is that specific situations tend to get generalized. Especially when we try and write legislation.
I'm sure his ten points could be taken one at a time and discussed and argued in many cases for a long time.

Reactions: BagemTagem

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I used to laugh at and dismiss BS like that......but now it scares me. Too many take that BS way too serious. Not us of course becuase we on this forum are of sound mind (Right?)....but there are millions of blogs were the anti-gun types read, collect, and use that type of BS against us....and that blogger was a gun owner! Freedom of speech? Yes, but be cognizant of what you speak, where you speak, how you speak and to whom you speak.

That said, after taking that article to heart I am removing all guns, alcohol, silverware, and teenagers from my home......I will replace with squirt guns, near beer, plastic sporks and a goldfish. I will not watch the news either, for fear I may become depressed, drink enough near beer to get buzzed and do something terrible to myself or goldfish with a spork.

NOW myself and America are happy and safe and the likes of that author can sleep well at night and feel "warm and fuzzy" with HIS guns......as he has a perfect life that poses no threat or harm since he is seemingly immune from his BS......

Carry On!

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Those points are understood. I read the first sentence of every "reason", and that was enough for me to know I would be wasting my life's time.

That guy doesn't even deserve website hit counts from people with my opinion (just my opinion).
DI5

·
Registered
382 Posts
I told my children that I would take a gun in the home over a felon.
So with that they better not get convicted of a felony and if they did they could never come home! I thinking it worked!
They did pretty good.
Edward5759

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it just me, or is that post stating the obvious to the point that it is drivel?
Seems like it can be boiled down into only 2 good reasons to not have a firearm at home...incompentency and illegality.
if you read through his blog site you will find that most of his posts are in that format....top ten this, 10 signs that this is happening, 100 things you can do.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Is it just me, or is that post stating the obvious to the point that it is drivel?
Seems like it can be boiled down into only 2 good reasons to not have a firearm at home...incompentency and illegality.
I vote drivel.

I've noticed a lot of blogs like this, for whatever reason, need to explain the obvious as oldflyboy mentions. I'm get tired of people that feel the need to explain things to me with the presumption that I can't make up my own mind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.