M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came into just shy of 800 rounds (!) of the following as marked on the original old school 'Army green' metal ammo container:

.30 Ball Cart.
LOT - 56C - FN57

The previous owner fired just over 60-rds of it. The rest is still in brown paper boxes holding 20 cartridges each. I know it's FN production. Is it corrosive?

Thanks in advance to the ammo experts here!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you got it for a really good price, it's corrosive.
For what I paid, I pretty much stole it. Yeah, I'll just assume it's corrosive unless an expert here can tell me different.

An older member of my gun club was 'downsizing' his collection of stuff - acquired over decades of buying and trading. He wanted to move this stash rather than haul it around to a gun show or such. He likes to sell to club members, if possible.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
When you shoot it just clean up with hot soapy water and then clean the barrel as normal. I've been shooting corrosive ammo in Garands since 1965 and never had a problem with rust by cleaning this way.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a bunch of that also , I will have to look at the numbers , but have not had any issues with it & clean the rifle as normal .
Thanks. Let me know what you find.

Yeah, I'll still clean the bolt and barrel as normal. That won't change.

I have a M1903A4 clone with a Criterion barrel and wanted to see how this stuff shot in that.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a bunch of that also , I will have to look at the numbers , but have not had any issues with it & clean the rifle as normal.
Wanted to follow up and ask as to general accuracy, how did your FN .30 ball ammo shoot?

And what rifle did you shoot it in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly shot in my Garand , but once in a while in my Fed Ord.1903a3 .The labeling seems to be much different , shoots very good out of both rifles . View attachment 431750
Thanks.

Yeah, the labeling's slightly different. Similar, but using a different font style on the boxes than mine, which is obviously an early lot run than yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts