M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read the rules on this match and I want to shoot the VBM next year but have neither. The rules don't have the A3 in them so are you able to use this rifle ? If I'm going to buy one I would rather have the 03a3 but if it's out the 17 will work. Just though some of you bolt guys might know before I go on the search. Thanks all. Dan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Vintage

1903A3 can only be used in the Springfield match.
1917 is a great gun if it has a good barrel.
K31 Swiss is a cheaper alternative for Vintage and generally most of them have great bores. JMHO

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Agree with missliegeek, fore the Vintage Bolt
K31, Swede 96 or 38, 1917, 98k, Enfield or a host of others.
Springfield match 03a3 or 1903

Reactions: Dsc

·
Registered
762 Posts
Although an extremely accurate rifle the K31 is stupid hard to shoot well because of its true open sights. I have to use an eyepal on my shooting glasses to shoot it at all.
A 1917 with a good barrel is a great choice.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the small peep on the A3 might make a difference maybe. I've shot all but the Swiss and really see no big reason for the 03 to be benched,but their rules. I guess I'll be on the look out for a 1917 because it uses the same rounds as the Garand. Thanks again guys. Dan

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I used to shoot a Swede 96 for Vintage bolt and it is a great gun. I shot a clean prone rapid with one. It is a little muzzle heavy for standing.
I shoot a K31 exclusively now. Phenomenal gun and just incredibly accurate. It just seems to sit right where it needs to standing. Once you get used to the straight pull it is lightning fast if you don't mind the brass flying 372 feet in the air and then coming back down on your head.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I guess the small peep on the A3 might make a difference maybe. I've shot all but the Swiss and really see no big reason for the 03 to be benched,but their rules. I guess I'll be on the look out for a 1917 because it uses the same rounds as the Garand. Thanks again guys. Dan
The Vintage and Springfield matches are conducted in parallel. You don't have to "bench" anything. In fact, you can shoot both back to back.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Springfield's were shooting with the Garands this year and probably next if I got it right.That was why they gave us an extra 10 sec. On the rapids. I would rather get a rifle I can shoot in the Vintage match because I will be on the Garand and that shoot will be the next day or later . For now I'm only getting one bolt gun, never did like a bolt action much. Thanks again guys. Dan

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must have read something wrong Missilegeek , thanks , I thought the Springfields went off with the Garands on the 19th. I may be wrong, I was a little up if you will, didn't want to get messed up on a bolt match if they would run them together. I'm not giving up on the Garand and I would just as soon shoot a 17 in the Vintage. I will check it out again. Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for making me dig up my book . I don't know why I thought the Springfield's shot with us on Saturday. Thanks for helping. I think I will go with a 03A3. That's what I wanted to begin with and shoot on Sunday. We will have Sat,Sun and Mon. Shoots, to bad the M1A is on Thursday. Guess we will have to figure out something to do for 2 days. Thanks again. Dan

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's why I'm sticking with the 06. If I don't have time to reload enough for a match I'll shoot HXP from the CMP. Its in-expensive and doesn't shoot to bad for practice sessions. That and I didn't want to load for 3 different calibers.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I stocked up on GP11 when you could still get it but an down to ~1500 rounds. I have started the process of duplicating a load for the K31.
Now if I could just find someone who was willing to convert that great GP11 brass to boxer for me (great brass but that just looks like too much work GI1 )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts