M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a taller front sight for an 03-A3. Does anyone know how to measure one and where I can get one.

I know they came in different heights but I've not any for sale with the height specified.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Replacement 03a3 front sights are usually maximum height. I prefer the wider front posts. I bought several from a guy on the CMP Forum. They are much superior.

I have also bought replacement 03a3 front blades from Sarco. Make sure to get a few extra pins. Use a roll pin if you can.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I need a taller front sight for an 03-A3. Does anyone know how to measure one and where I can get one.

I know they came in different heights but I've not any for sale with the height specified.
What sight do you have on there now? There are 5 heights for the 03a3 rifle, and all are regulated for M2 ammo, that's a 150gr bullet @ 2780-2800fps.
A. .537
B. .522
C. .507
D. .492
E. .477

If your needing a taller sight than the A .537 your going too have too make one, I've seen guys make them from a hack saw blade using a dremel and file. The hack saw blade is the right thickness and will fit into the front sights base slot, add some cold blue and it will have the right patina.

HTH.

Reactions: Crowbar

·
Registered
302 Posts
I recently got a replacement USMC sight for my 03A3 from a gentleman on the CMP forum. He can make any height sight you need. Here is his contact information.
Bill Bentz

P.O. Box 2162

Warminster, PA 18974

[email protected]

I make reproduction USMC style sight sets for the '03 Springfield rifle. The measurements for these parts were taken from original parts and drawings. All parts are cold blued. Set includes rear slide drift (aperture) and front sight blade.

*Price per set - $75.00, plus $5.00 for postage and insurance.

The attached photo shows a USMC sight set for the ’03; the front sight blade in this photo will look like the one for the ’03A3.

NOTICE- Rule changes by the CMP in 6.3.3, (4) for as-issued M1903 Springfield states-

“Sights with USMC dimensions for aperture diameter and front sight blade thickness are permitted on both M1903 and M1903A3 rifles. The rear sight aperture may be enlarged by drilling or reaming and a wider front sight blade may be installed. The A3 rear sight must remain as issued except for the larger aperture. The top of the front sight blade must not be wider than 0.100”. The rear sight aperture must not be larger than 0.100”.”

Specify height when ordering for the 03A3.

*Price per standard sized blades, “A” through “E” (below) is $35.00, plus $5.00 for postage and insurance.

**O3A3 front blade information-

The O3A3 rifles used 5 different height sizes to zero these rifles. On the side of the front blade is stamped a code letter from “A” through “E”, sometimes, but not always. These letter codes designate the height of the front blade. I would need this information to reproduce the correct height blade for your rifle. If your rifle has the code, there is no problem. If it does not, you will have to remove the pin that holds the blade in, remove the blade, and measure with a set of calipers. If you are unable to measure the blade, you can send it to me and I will measure it and return it to you with the new one that I will make using the measurement of your original.

Also, I can make USMC type front blades for the 03A3 rifles in any height you need.

*Price for custom blades are $40.00, plus $5.00 for postage and insurance.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Original sights for the 03 and A3 are .050 inch wide. Some saw blades are this width and some are different, like .035.

The M1903A3 has a similar sight radius as the M1 Garand. This sight radius equates to about .0075 inch per MOA. If you can't zero or don't like your zero, measure your sight and do the math. Bill Bentz can make what you need for height. I don't know if he makes sights other than .100 wide, but .100 is good to go for CMP matches.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The height IS measured from the bottom of the sight to the top. However, you can get a good idea of the height by measuring what sticks out above the base and adding .210 inch.

It's a good thing to be happy with your zero. If I'm not missing something, you're looking for something at least .068 taller.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks folks, lots of good info here.

The sight I got from Sarco wasn't marked and I should have at least tried to measure it.

Isn't this the formula to calculate how tall a front sight should be,

Distance between the sights/POI Error x Distance.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Didn't the blades have a number stamped into them?
The 2, 03 front sights I have one 1 is numbered with 42 on the left side of the blade, the other in unmarked on the blade however the base is stamped with a 2 on the right side. I would remove the USMC sight cover off of my rifle for a quick look and report back but it takes the strength of 3 men too pull/jerk it off and a rubber hammer too get it back on so that ain't gonna' happen anytime soon...........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.