1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
12106 Radium was an address in San Antonio, hence the "S A" portion of the barrel marking. San Antonio is about thirty-five miles northeast of the City of Devine. Springfield Armory, Inc. moved to 12106 Radium in the spring of 1974. The barrel would not have been stamped and the rifle assembled until at least May 1974. An application was submitted to the BATF on May 13, 1974 to change the address on the Federal Firearms License. The new FFL was not approved by the BATF until September 1974.

·
Registered
193 Posts
devine ?

Different
Its alos listed on GB, serial #25XX, barrel marked sa, radium, tx, so its not a devine correct?
Also there's another one listed GB, serial # 9XX, barrel marked ,devine tx, looks nice, no flap on buttplate, starts at $3000.
Thanks Sante

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Its alos listed on GB, serial #25XX, barrel marked sa, radium, tx, so its not a devine correct?
12106 Radium was an address in San Antonio, hence the "S A" portion of the barrel marking. San Antonio is about thirty-five miles northeast of the City of Devine. It is a rifle that was made by Springfield Armory, Inc. before November 1974.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Thanks, UAWMAN. This illustrates why I don't use the term "Devine M1A." The rifle was manufactured by Springfield Armory, Inc. in Texas in 1974. It is what I call a Texas M1A. It was put together by the same company that had moved from Devine, Texas, thirty-five miles away.

The linked ad has a price of $2,250.00. It did not sell. It's now listed for $3,000.00. If the seller gets $3,000.00, good for him. I really could care less about the price of Texas M1A rifles. I already have a couple and am not looking for any more. The price of a Texas M1A rifle is not set by Elmer Ballance. I DO NOT set the price of M1A rifles. It is determined by two people, the seller and the buyer. If there's a buyer out there that agrees with the seller, then that's what it's worth.

Look at the photograph of the barrel marking. What does it read? 12106 RADIUM SA TEX 78216. Is San Antonio the same city as Devine? No. Was it assembled by the same company that was located in Devine, TX? Yes. Was it assembled by Elmer Ballance? Maybe, maybe not. Mr. Ballance had been convicted by July 13, 1974 of a federal felony. Mr. William Miller, Attorney-at-Law, was the new owner and was running the company. Mr. Miller was the person who sold the company to Bob Reese in Geneseo, Illinois. That sale occurred on or about November 01, 1974.

M1A serial numbers 002167 through 246X were sold by Springfiield Armory, Inc. under its new FFL (12106 Radium San Antonio, TX) in September 1974. The company had two locations for a few months to move inventory and equipment. A new FFL was applied for in May 1974 and the move had been completed by no later than July 13, 1974. The business had to wait for the BATF to approve the new FFL. That approval came in September 1974. Talk to any FFL that has moved his shop and he'll tell you that until the BATF approves the new FFL you can't sell guns. M1A serial number 0025XX would have left San Antonio after the new FFL had been approved. That means the rifle was shipped off to the retail FFL in September or October 1974. Could the rifle have been assembled in June 1974 and sat around in the new shop waiting for the BATF to approve the new FFL? Yes. No doubt that the four month delay in getting the new FFL approved had an adverse effect on the company's finances.

The referenced text in the AR15.com EE posting from WCG's web site is a reproduction of my research from 2002. Notice even then I use Texas, not Devine, to describe the company identity.

I can document all of the above. M1A serial number 0025XX was assembled in Texas. Is that good enough for everybody?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Fools gold

Where ever it was assembled, if it doesn't have Devin, TX stamped on it. It's a Texas Springfield, not a Devin. The seller is using an argument here to jack up the price. Most likely it's a good shooter but that's all. Who ever buys this, as PT Barnum said there's one born every minute. Just my .02

·
Registered
205 Posts
This thread looks like a good opportunity to post pics of my "Elmer Ballance made" M1A's in order of manufacture dates and locations (all in Texas). BGRIN1

Group Photo

Rifle # 000067 L.H.Gun Co. (Lackland Housing) Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas, mfg. 1971.

Rifle # 000134 (mfg.1971) Springfield Armory - Devine, Texas

Rifles # 000326 (mfg. late1971 or early 1972), and # 000567 (mfg.1972). Springfield Armory - Devine, Texas

·
Registered
212 Posts
He actually had it listed for $1800 on the AR15 forum, then someone challenged it was a devine and then he jacked the price up to 3k after he said he talked to Elmer Balance himself.

I almost thought about saying I would take it at $1800. As I felt it was worth that, but it's not worth 3k to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"He actually had it listed for $1800 on the AR15 forum, then someone challenged it was a devine and then he jacked the price up to 3k after he said he talked to Elmer Balance himself.

I almost thought about saying I would take it at $1800. As I felt it was worth that, but it's not worth 3k to me.
Thanks "

Uh, that was me.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.