M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please feel free to tell me what I got and what I missed or anything else I need to look for. I need to work draw pressure, trim hand guard, polish piston, shim gas lock, and trim the stock ferrule. Looks like I’ll be hitting up TonyBen’s channel again... RNGR1

I had to clean it up quite a bit. She came in a black painted fiberglass stock with a GG&G scope mount and same era Leupold Scope. It also came with the original catalog, warnings, accessory listings and order form! Parts list below and the final product is a clean rifle sitting in a NOS National Match stock. I kept the fiberglass top cover from the new rifle because it was purdy.

Rifle parts:
- .308 NM marked (medium barrel?)
- HRA Op Rod (tab measured .309?)
- GI Trigger?
- TRW Bolt
- 033868 SN Receiver
- US Made Leupold VARI-X II c (looks like an option for the year)
- GG&G scope mount (maybe an option as well? Or would it have been an older mount back then?)
- Butler Creek scope caps FRG1
- National Match Op Rod Spring Guide?
- Rear Sight, Beretta BM59 Elevation/DRC Windage

I don’t have after pics of everything cleaned up internally but it’s much better and I’m going to be proud to shoot it this weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: RDS

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Nice rifle!
Springfield Armory Inc. trigger housing - commercial What are the hammer and safety marked?
H&R op rod - GI
TRW bolt - GI
Killeen Machine and Tool op rod spring guide, standard guide - GI
It those are the only markings on the barrel then Springfield Armory Inc.-commercial Can you post a pic of the entire barrel. Can't tell if it's a medium heavy or heavy barrel.

The GG&G scope mount is a big winner and highly sought after for guys doing a USMC DMR clone

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx I Appreciate it! Here’s the barrel sir.

Nice rifle!
Springfield Armory Inc. trigger housing - commercial What are the hammer and safety marked?
H&R op rod - GI
TRW bolt - GI
Killeen Machine and Tool op rod spring guide, standard guide - GI
It those are the only markings on the barrel then Springfield Armory Inc.-commercial Can you post a pic of the entire barrel. Can't tell if it's a medium heavy or heavy barrel.

The GG&G scope mount is a big winner and highly sought after for guys doing a USMC DMR clone

Attachments

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Nice 5 line M1A. You did very good. What's the ME and TE? Any other makings on barrel like Geneseo Il. ?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx sir. Barrel says "Springfield Inc. Geneseo IL". Is that good?

Russ

Nice 5 line M1A. You did very good. What's the ME and TE? Any other makings on barrel like Geneseo Il. ?

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Commercial medium weight barrel made probably by Wilson for SAI,still a good shooting barrel though,The housing is SAI commercial as noted and possibly the flash hider cant see it close enough to tell,The pinion is Italian from a BM59.Im assuming it has the lip under the right side of the receiver as well,post a pic and we can see if it does,great rifle well done.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is definitely a lip under the right side of the receiver. I had to take a small line (unnoticeable when assembled) out of the stock a half millimeter deep to get the stock to fit. Very minimal and still VERY tight trigger group.

What’s the lip mean? I think you can see it in the pic with the BM59 knob.

Commercial medium weight barrel made probably by Wilson for SAI,still a good shooting barrel though,The housing is SAI commercial as noted and possibly the flash hider cant see it close enough to tell,The pinion is Italoan from a BM59.Im assuming it has the lip u der the tight side of the re river as well,post a pic and we can see if it does,great rifle well done.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
The lip is not a big deal until you try and fit it to a USGI stock.or other aftermarket ones,you will have to relieve the stock in that area as you noted. I believe around 34K SAI did away with it making it easier to fit GI and other stocks,the hammer is Winchester,and I'm guessing it originally had a std weight barrel,not sure if SAI offered a med weight in that era.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My M1A barrel is markedNM .308. Are others marked NM 7.62.?
Will it safely accept either .308 Winchester or milspec 7.62x51?

·
Super Moderator
11,149 Posts
My M1A barrel is markedNM .308. Are others marked NM 7.62.? Will it safely accept either .308 Winchester or milspec 7.62x51?
Wilson once apon a time made a USGI contour NM 4 groove barrel with 1/12 rot these are simply stamped NM between the gas cylinder rings. Many years later SAI wanted to upgraded too a med profile barrel, these are 6 groove 1/11rot barrels and there marked NM.308, yes you can fire commercial as well as quality mil-surp ammo. None are marked 7.62

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It came with a 1981 accessories and options list that states “National Match Barrel 308/243”. I’ll try to attach a pic if it’s of use to anyone..

Wilson once apon a time made a USGI contour NM 4 groove barrel with 1/12 rot these are simply stamped NM between the gas cylinder rings. Many years later SAI wanted to upgraded too a med profile barrel, these are 6 groove 1/11rot barrels and there marked NM.308, yes you can fire commercial as well as quality mil-surp ammo. None are marked 7.62

Attachments

G

·
My M1A barrel is markedNM .308. Are others marked NM 7.62.?
Will it safely accept either .308 Winchester or milspec 7.62x51?
I have asked this several times and still am not certain. Many say they will handle .308 just fine, but my 1982 M1A Manual states "Use 7.62X51 ammunition ONLY".

It is a "loaded" M1A and has "NM" on the barrel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts